Story Tellers

It was a warm morning, as Douglas rolled into the big station with a goods train. He shunted it away, then went to fetch some coal. As he was filling up, he overheard his driver and stoker exchanging words with the guard.

"I told you these stories would do well!"

The guard chuckled.

"Everyone wants to know about this railway, even if it's online!"

Douglas was confused.

"Are ye telkin about thoose wee stories ye've been writing?"

He asked. His driver nodded.

"I guess the world likes to know how daft most of these engines are."

"Sometimes the truth is better than fiction!"

His stoker giggled. Douglas considered the case.

It wasn't long later, when The Fat Controller arrived.

"I'm sorry to bother you Douglas."

He spoke.

"But I need your assistance. We have a school trip chartered to the works station, but Thomas was meant to take the train, but he and Percy are busy. Would you mind?"

Douglas wasn't keen on coaches, and was never a fan of younger passengers.

"Och, I can try."

He tried to hide his resentment.

"I trust you'll at least try to smile for them."

His driver teased. Douglas didn't reply.

When he arrived to the station, the platform was crowded with children. Teachers tried fruitlessly to control the small crowd, and the noise was dreadful! Douglas felt as if his eyes would pop out.

"I'll be glad to finish this run."

The stoker pouted. At last, the guard blew her whistle, and Douglas set off.

Each time they'd pass an engine, the children would make awful noises. Some even tore up the carriage seats and drew on the armrests. Douglas grimaced, as the terrible sounds echoed out behind them.

"Och, I'll be glad wheen this lots doone."

He grumbed to himself.

At last, the train arrived to the works station. The children all hopped away, following their teachers closely. Douglas was very relieved.

"Those poor coaches..."

He whispered. His stoker snickered.

"Good story ehhh?"

Almost teasing the driver. His driver shook his head.

"Not interesting enough. Give it a few minutes I reckon."

"Och, dinnie say that!"

Douglas shivered.

Seemingly, I was correct. It had only been 15 minutes, when one of the teachers hurried over.

"All the places we wanted to visit are under repairs."

She spoke quickly.

"Do you know any good places we could take them? They've all been looking forward to this trip."

The crew fussed about for a few minutes, trying to come up with any answers. It took them so long that the teacher had to bring her class over. At last, his guard had an idea.

"What if we read some of the stories?"

She quizzed.

"I'm sure that'll pass the time!"

"Are you sure?"

Douglas driver gulped.

"I've never been the best at public speaking."

"Oh come on, please do!"

The teacher pleaded, almost like she was despite... which she was.

"Anything to keep these young ones in line."

"Och, only if theey all premise te not tear up young coaches on the wey home!"

Douglas chuckled. That did the trick, all the children "promised" to behave.

So, that's just what they did. Douglas and his crew read stories off his stokers phone. From flooded yards, runaway dogs to firey newspapers, no story was left untold, with some bits left out, of course. By the time they had finished, it was time for the children to be taken home. The teacher was most thankful, and Douglas felt very pleased with himself.

"You saved our trip."

She whispered.

"Thank you."

"Oh it's nothing really."

Douglas driver smiled.

"Just happy to do our part."

As they set off for home, Douglas couldn't help but chuckle.

"I guess this'll be a story after all..."