Fierce Gale!

Heavy wind and rain coated The Fat Controller's railway. All the engines found work incredibly difficult. Many engines and crew would often return home soaked and cold.

"If this doesn't let up."

Douglas' driver shivered.

"Something will break, be it us or our engines!"

"It's horrible!"

Hyena's driver pouted.

"I don't want to even leave our house!"

One engine who didn't mind too much was Impulse. He was used to many different types of working conditions, and often didn't fuss. He'd step in to help many of the engines. Many of the engines were impressed. And some even took offence to it.

"You're just showing off!"

Gordon huffed, as Impulse backed into the sheds.

"Always stepping in for others. What are you trying to play at!?"

"Uhm? Not sure what you mean Gordon?"
Impulse replied. Now Impulse was doing it out of the kindness of his heart. And didn't want anything in return. However, Gordon didn't see it as such, and thought Impulse was up to something. And would make this known.

"Oh come off it Gordon!"
Douglas driver reasoned.

"It's not like he's hiding anything. He is literally just helping engines out of tight spots when they need it."

"Really saved my tender a few days ago."

Wallabee added.

"Shame the same can't be said about you."

"What are you implying!?"

"You heard. If you offered to help other engines out maybe Henry wouldn't be filling in for the express so often."

"Cut that cheek!"
Gordon snapped.

"I'm far too busy to deal with trucks. It isn't wrong.."

He finished.

"But we just don't do it!"

And with that, Gordon went crossly to sleep. Impulse looked on with a baffled look.

"He does know I'm just trying to help?"
He murmured.

"Och, ignore him lad."

Douglas soothed.

"The bad weather always ruins his mood. Give it some time, he'll see sense soon!"

"Let's just hope the weather doesn't stick!"

Impulse's stoker grunted, clutching onto Douglas' driver's side.

"Otherwise we'll be in a world of trouble."

The engines awoke the next morning to find that nothing had changed. The weather was still wet and miserable.

"Hearing some news now."

Crewe's guard spoke sternly.

"A full blown storm will kick up later in the afternoon, be aware it might be serious, and call for help if you need it."

All the engines agreed. All, but Gordon.

"Me!? Need help!? Out of the question!"

He grumbled, eyeing Impulse crossly.

"Oh come on Gordon, show some spirit here!"

Derek quipped, Gordon just snorted.

"Pah!"

The day only got worse, and by mid afternoon an amber alert had been sounded. Impulse was just passing the radio station when the station master flagged him down.

"The Fat Controller has ordered everyone to head home. A full gale will be coming through!"

"Oh dear! That does sound serious!"

He gasped.

"Anything we can do to help!?"

"Just help me home, thanks!"

The station master shivered. Impulse set off again.

He hurried down the line, into the growing winds, as he passed the junction he saw Gordon at the platform.

"Head home!"

The big blue engine called!

"I need to finish this run!"

Impulse sheepishly whistled out a reply, and carried on.

"Feels like the door'll be blown off their hinges!"

Fred's driver yelped! Once again Impulse had returned home later then most of the others, he couldn't help but notice the few empty births.

"Where is everyone else?"

He gulped.

"Ren and Doc are at the harbour helping there."

His guard replied, checking her phone.

"And Gordon's still taking the express."

"I just hope all are ok..."
Impulse sighed. It was only about an hour later when the gale really picked up again, many of the crews huddled with the engines. Impulse was growing more worried by the minute. He was just about to say his concerns when the doors were flung open! The Fat Controller stood by the entrance, he was soaked from Hat to ankles! He sprinted over to the turntable!

"We're in an emergency situation! The winds have gotten worse and soon, it could become deadly!"

He spun to some of the engines.

"Jevin and Tango! Go help Ren and Doc! They're in a losing battle! Impulse! Gordon's broken down beyond the forest! Go fetch him then go help at the harbour!"

Impulse didn't hesitate. Quickly, Douglas' driver and Impulse's stoker climbed aboard, and Impulse steamed away!

Gordon hadn't just broken down. While travelling through the forest a tree branch had come down hard. Right atop his boiler. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but could go no further, his crew and the passenger's were kept up in the coaches. He was feeling cold and miserable. At last he heard a whistle!

"There you are!"

Impulse cried! Steaming from the dark.

"Impulse. What are you doing here?"
"I've come to get you safely home!"

Came the determined reply. Gordon smiled back.

"What a fine engine you are!"

He called. Impulse didn't reply. He could barely hear Gordon. He was safely coupled up, and with all his might. Impulse hauled the long train home!

It was much later when Impulse returned from the harbour. It was tiring work, and Impulse was looking forward to the well earned rest. He drew slowly alongside Gordon. Who smiled.

"Thank you for helping me back there."

He spoke kindly.

"I didn't deserve it in any way. I owe you an apology."

"It's alright!"

Impulse chuckled.

"We're friends after all! And I know you'd do the same for me!"

Gordon silently agreed.

Gordon and Impulse are now firm friends. Gordon has even let Impulse cover the express. But Impulse always declines. He'd much rather be a useful engine. Of course Gordon's still the same old fart he's always been. But whenever the weather changes he always stays consistent. And if needed. Gordon will go to anyone's aid. That shows you doesn't it?