8.1

———

"Right" Rick said, as everyone got out their vehicles, parked outside the gates of the prison "Looks like the green area is secure, a few walkers but we can take them, just need to shut that gate over there, stop more walkers getting in" he pointed over to the fence in the middle of the field.

"Someone needs to go in?" Lori wondered, Arias head perked up as she was about to volunteer, Glen stepped forward.

Glen sighed "I'll do it, i'm the fastest"

"No" Maggie inputed protectively.

Rick chuckled, before patting him on the back "I'll do it"

"Rick-" Lori said, before getting cut off.

"It'll be fine" he nodded, walking towards his wife and placing his hands on her shoulders, before giving her a reassuring kiss on the head.

After setting out a plan, Carol was at the top of one of the watch towers along with Daryl who was at the bottom, both armed with guns. The remainder of the group running round the metal gate, hitting the cold metal with their weapons, gaining all the walkers attention.

"Over here!"

"Here!"

They repeated over and over again, the sound of clanging metal almost drowning them out. As the walkers got closer the group would shoot, slowly killing them one by one.

Aria watched Daryl pulled the gate open as her Dad ran in. Quickly pulling back the gate as he did. She saw as the walker's attention got drawn to him i instead of the group at the side, continuing to run, Carol fired shots from the tower, some a little to close.

"Hey!" Rick managed to get out as one of the bullets skimmed too close to his feet. Swiftly looking at Carol before looking back at his target.

"Sorry!" Carol yelled out before continuing to shoot.

Rick carried on running, looking round stabbing walkers as they got to close. Eventually he made it to the gate, pulling it shut bolting it with the chain and lock.

The walkers swarmed round him, Carol tried shooting the ones getting too close. The group watched in horror as it looked like he was getting overwhelmed by walkers.

"Dad!" Aria screamed, attracting a few more stragglers.

"Rick!" Lori added, as her eyes met his from multiple yards away.

They couldn't see if he made it out or not, but all the walkers left were attracted to the watchtower beside the gate.

Carol, Daryl and the remainder who had guns began shooting the few left surrounding the tower. Soon the groaning of the walkers stopped, and the door of the tower swung open.

"Thank God" Aria heard her mum say as she breathed a sigh of relief.

The group ran to meet each other at the entrance of the gate, pulling it open and rushing in hastily. They were met with Rick smirking before he placed his hand on carls shoulder, and the other round loris waist.

"This is ours" he smiled as the rest of the group laughed with him.

A few hours had passed and it was growing dark, once again. Rick was walking round, checking every side of the gates, every possible way walkers could get in, making sure it was secure.