Losing everything

Harry sat on the garden bench in the shade under the trees and watched Scorpius play with the puppy. They bought Severus, a small dog, for him so that he wouldn't be sad when he couldn't see the children. The perfect picture of happiness. He had already accepted Scorpius as his own and was glad for it. The boy clung to him, which bound him to Draco more tightly than anything else. He knew that as long as Scorpius liked him, so would Draco. Harry daydreamed as he remembered his partner's confession from yesterday. He closed his eyes and replayed the whole evening like a wonderful movie.

Scorpius was disciplined and would never think of leaving the garden on his own. He wasn't allowed to talk to any strangers, he wasn't allowed to open the gate, and he wasn't allowed to move away from Harry. He would have complied with all this if he had had time to think and not make spontaneous decisions in a few seconds. And how is a four-year-old boy to decide when his pet flies through the fence and is away? Scorpius opened the gate, ran after the dog and—

Harry heard the gate click and ran towards it. His heart stopped. He looked around the street. He didn't see Scorpius anywhere. He couldn't get that far, Harry was a few seconds late at most. Desperately he searched the entire street and then the garden. How is he supposed to get back to Draco? He would prefer to run away and not see his boyfriend at all. On the other hand, there was still hope that the boy had returned to the house. Helplessly, Harry walked around the house several times and then slipped inside unnoticed. He searched all the rooms, just avoiding Draco's study.

He listened timidly at the door, and when he heard nothing but the turning of the pages of a book, he knew that all was wrong. Because of a few seconds of inattention, he betrayed Draco's trust, failed as an Auror, and failed to ensure the safety of one of the most precious beings he had in his life. His hope of finding the boy around the house dwindled to almost nothing. He immediately called the Ministry to put out the search for Scorpius, but the worst was yet to come – telling his dad.

Harry knocked and entered the room. His friend pulled him into a hug and kissed him.

"Draco, not now."

"Is there something wrong?"

"Scorpius ran away from the garden. I can't find him," Harry said desperately.

Draco remained as if stunned, perhaps not fully understanding the content of the words he had just heard.

"Have you been looking everywhere for him?" Draco ran out of the room and started searching the house, garden and surroundings randomly, Harry just helplessly following him.

After a few minutes, completely exhausted, Draco returned to Harry.

"I hate you, Potter. How could you do this to me?" His voice cut through Harry like a razor.

Harry tried to hug him, but Draco smirked and pushed him away with such force that Harry fell to the ground; luckily, he was trained and knew how to land safely.

"Draco, you're not helping anything with this. I'll go to the search team now and look for him. We will find him, I promise."

"How can you promise me something like that when you don't know anything yourself," snapped Draco.

"Would you like me to be with you?" Harry offered.

"No. I don't want to see you until you find him. Maybe I never want to see you again," Draco said in a colourless voice.

Harry gave him an unhappy look and walked out. He swallowed back tears but was determined to do his best. The most important task of his life awaits him.