Chapter 23: Crossing The Line

CROSSING THE LINE

After more than a week of Rhian and her friends being at the internship, hindi naman nalilipas ang araw at oras na sumasama si Rhian kay Vahn para mag-ensayo na muli.

At that time, they were called by Dr. Reynaldo Aceder, who had Rhianʼs blood test result. They immediately went to the hospital to find out what happened. “Well, I donʼt know if the results of Rhianʼs blood test are the same as the results of your forensic investigation with the corpses you obtained,” the doctor said.

Naupo si Dr. Aceder sa kaniyang swivel chair at ibinigay ang naka-folder na mga papeles. “I want you to be clear that the tranquilizer that was used to inject Ms. Rhian Luther is a type of experimental liquid. In our laboratory analysis, her blood sample had dark red cells. In order for us to know if her brain has really been affected, we need to check her up again now so that you have an answer about this matter.”

Vahn and Rhian looked at each other again. They didnʼt say anything else and just nodded as if that was the only way for them to know what Rhianʼs condition might be, if it would be bad, or if there was a possibility that her memory would return to what happened that she didnʼt expect.

Rhian underwent surgery again, but nothing had to be taken from her or anything.

The only thing that needs to be looked at is her brain, especially the brain cells and blood cells that flow through it, but neither the doctor nor the other consultants found anything wrong. “Normal ang lahat; walang kailangang ipag-alala dahil maaari ngang tinarakan lang siya ng tranquilizer to forget temporarily ang mga alaala na nakuha niya noong siyaʼy nawala,” sabi ng doctor, at nakahinga naman ng maluwag si Rhian.

But sheʼs still not satisfied until she gradually feels that her head hurts every time she does something or gets tired. “Why am I getting a headache, doc? Well, I know thatʼs normal; there are chances that my head really hurts because... Iʼm overthinking too much,” tanong niya.

“Yeah, itʼs normal, pero may mga chances na dahil din iyan sa tranquilizer na itinarak sa iyo. Tatlong linggo na ang nakalipas simula nang mangyari sa iyo iyon, at nandiyan na ang resulta na talaga ngang naturukan ka ng tranquilizer,” tugon nito. “And if you see things in your mind that you recognize, itʼs possible that your memories are resurfacing.”

Rhian looked away from the doctor. He raised his hand and touched the girlʼs shoulder to comfort her. “Rhian, hija, I know this is not easy for you. Youʼre like my daughter, and thatʼs why I hope that everything will go well with what is happening and the consequences that youʼre facing now,” concern na sabi ni Dr. Reynaldo Aceder.

“Even if you donʼt remember me yet, I know you feel that you remember me here.” The doctor pointed his index finger at Rhianʼs chest, which is her heart. “I know you will get through all of this.”

Napangiti naman ng bahagya si Rhian saka tiningnan ang doctor. “Maraming salamat po, doc,” sabi niya.

“If ever na kailanganin ninyo muli ng aking tulong, pumunta lang kayo rito; handa ko kayong tulungan, okay?” Tumango na lamang sila sa sinabi ni Dr. Reynaldo Aceder.

Pagkatapos niyon ay agad na silang umalis dala ang folder na naglalaman ng blood test result ni Rhian.

While she was inside the room, she was reading the notes on those papers and found a lot of scientific method and research about the tranquilizer formula that was used on her, and it was just an experimental liquid. “This is unusual. Who would think of such a way just to make me lose my memory of what happened when I disappeared?” tanong niya sa kaniyang sarili.

While thinking deeply, she couldnʼt help but go back to what happened three weeks ago, as if his brain were a tape recorder. There were cut scenarios. “Tsk! Kailan ba maaaring bumalik ang alalala ko? Ilang araw o linggo pa ba ang dapat kong hintayin? Ano bang dapat kong gawin para lang hindi na umabot ito hanggang katapusan ng buwan?”