Book 1: Part 1: Edward's Day Out

1923:

On the small island called Sodor, which sits between the Isle of Man and Great Britain, lies a growing railway. On this railway, engines work around the island taking goods and passengers back and forth to all the stations.

On the eastern side of the island, the big station keeps all the working engines on the line under the cover of the hot sun or the pouring rain.

Only a few engines work on this island. Each have their own important jobs to do.

Thomas is a small shunter purchased from the Furness Railway. His job is to get the trains prepared for the other engines to take down the line. Having been built in 1915, he is still learning things in the yard, and the other engines tease him often.

Edward is an engine built in 1896. Although he is only a decade older than most engines, they view him as a mentor to the newer engines. He was also purchased from the Furness Railway around the same time as Thomas, to help build the new line on the island.

Henry is a goods engine that takes trucks to the stations. Without him, many people on the island would be missing their produce to keep themselves fed, or coal to help keep their houses warm. Loaned from the Great Western Railway, he is far away from home, but he keeps a smile up to not look weak.

There is also a prototype locomotive. He was built as a test for a more powerful passenger locomotive by the GNR, and proved to be successful. He was purchased to replace Henry on the passenger runs due to being faster and more reliable. He has yet to receive a name, as his builder did not assign him one.

Since the construction of the tunnel near the big station, Edward had been stuck in the sheds. With bigger engines always coming and going, there was little work to be done. His only company was Thomas, who worked in the yards next to the sheds.

"Edward, why don't you come out today?" Thomas asked innocently.

"The other engines have taken all the available jobs. And you seem pretty well occupied in those sidings."

Thomas huffed away, grumpy that he couldn't have Edward help him around.

Edward was just about to close his eyes to rest when his driver and fireman came up to him.

"Edward old boy, we get to go out today to pick up some new sleepers for the new expansion of the line." Said his driver. "Then the manager says that we might have the opportunity to take a few passenger trains."

"That sounds delightful," replied Edward. He was looking forward to seeing the countryside again.

"Good luck Edward!" Called Thomas from the yard, as he saw Edward leaving the sheds.

"Alright, I think that was the last of the produce delivered."

"Great, now we can head home and rest in the sheds." said Henry with relief. "Hopefully Thomas can leave me alone this time, I'm tired of his antics."

"We'll have to see!" laughed his fireman. "Who knows, maybe Edward has kept him occupied while everyone is away."

Henry's firebox whined as his fire grew. His previous accident had caused small leaks throughout his system which weakened his pulling power. The express had been reassigned to the new A1 after he had been rescued. 

He groaned as they set off towards the big station. Henry always worked long hours with multiple different crews, and he was excited to get a long break from the work. It was not very often for him to stay overnight with the other engines.

As he traveled down the line, he was surprised to see Edward coming towards him. 

"Edward? I never expected to see you out of the sheds!" he called.

"I've got a couple jobs to do, so I might be back later tonight!" Edward shouted back.

When Edward left his field of view, Henry sighed. He did not want to deal with Thomas today.

"Thomas! Where are my coaches!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming. You know you're still 15 minutes early for the express?" grumbled Thomas.

"15 minutes early is still 15 minutes too late! The passengers need to have the time to board and get relaxed." replied the engine.

Before Thomas even reached the station, the big engine grumbled even more. He always found some way of ridiculing him. If it was being too slow, too early, or just doing his work, the engine would always try to make himself noticed. 

Thomas didn't like the big engine. When he arrived a few months ago to take over the express, no-one was prepared for such an abrasive engine. His personality clashed with Edward, and he hardly treated Henry as an equal. Thomas never understood why the engine was like this. He wished Henry or Edward could take the express again. 

The sun was just about to go over the horizon when Edward arrived at the next station up the line. Although he was disappointed that there were no passengers, Edward gladly returned back to the sheds with his empty train. The sunset behind him reflected nicely off his paintwork as he traveled home. 

"Driver, do you think we can go out again tomorrow?" he asked.

"Who knows, Edward. We'll wait and see!" 

It was dark when Edward puffed into his berth. Henry and Thomas were waiting for him, while the big engine was returning from the west with the express. 

"How was your day out Edward?" said Thomas

"Oh it was very nice, I suppose." answered Edward. "I hope I can go out again tomorrow. It's a lot nicer than being stuck here in the shed."

"Don't feel so bad," continued Thomas, "You always have me here for company!"

"I guess I sure do."

The big engine was stuck waiting at the other end of the line. 

"What's the hold up?" he shouted. The passengers very startled by his booming voice.

"The director of the railway is coming to visit you. He already modified the schedule so none of the passengers miss their second train home." said his Fireman

"Pah! Everything should always be running at the same time!"

"Not unless I change the schedule." said an unfamiliar voice. "I wanted to talk to you while you're closer to my office."

"So what? I have a train to run!" 

"And I'm the one in charge of your schedules. You can call me Sir Topham Hatt." he boomed back at the engine.

"Erm- Yes sir. What did you want to see me about?" quivered the engine.

"Tomorrow, I'll be taking you off express duty. I've been hearing about your insubordination towards the manager at Vicarstown, and complaints from the crews of the other engines. I assume, that putting you down a notch will help with your complaints." said Sir Topham Hatt sternly.

As he walked away, the engine sat stunned. He couldn't believe that anyone would address him so lowly. When the guard's whistle blew for him to leave, he angrily went home. He couldn't believe that the express he was designed for was being taken away. 

When he reached the station, he didn't bother to shunt his own train into the sidings. He quietly sulked into the sheds while the others were asleep. He was not ready for tomorrow.