Book 4: Part 1: Thomas and the Guard

1925:

"And he says I'm just as bad as Gordon! Unbelievable!"

"I don't know, Thomas. I've never met James before."

"You probably wouldn't like him! He can be insufferable sometimes!"

"Woah really? I wouldn't have known!"

Eli laughed in amusement as Thomas looked over in anger.

"What? I was just kidding?"

The guard's whistle blew for Thomas's train. "Let's hope you were" he shouted as he left the station.

"If Thomas is this bad, then how bad could Gordon be?"

Thomas had been working on the old Knapford and Elsbridge railway for only a few weeks. He was enjoying the change of pace the line had from working in the yard. The two coffeepot engines, Eli and Kyle, were very polite and welcoming of Thomas.

Before Thomas came to the line, the coffeepot engines worked with 6 coaches. Their names were Annie, Clarabel, Harlow, Jo, Favour and Lennie. When Thomas replaced Travis, the engine who had crashed the same year, Thomas was given Annie, Clarabel, and Favour to pull his passenger trains.

Harlow and Jo both worked with Eli to help him calm his anxiety, and Lennie worked alone with Kyle, for his maintenance work on the line.

Although he was grateful to be able to pull passengers, Thomas disliked the proper nature of his three coaches. They often butt heads whenever Thomas left the station too quickly, or when he was running late.

"Come on Thomas!"

"We're going to be late again!"

"It's not my fault that the guard is late today! I can't leave without him!"

A man rushed from the station and to the coaches. Out of breath, he blew the whistle and raised the green flag.

Thomas set off with the guard in Clarabel's compartment.

"This isn't my guard!" shouted Clarabel.

"What are you talking about?" asked Favour.

"My guard is always on time, and maintains himself well. This man is not my guard!"

"A guard's a guard!" shouted Thomas. "As long as someone's there to blow the whistle, he's a guard!"

"Don't be silly Thomas! A guard has to make sure everyone is on the train and keep people safe!" replied Annie.

"Pah! Silly coaches!"

The three coaches were not amused.

When the train reached Toryreck, Clarabel was starting to get fidgety.

"He's messing up my cabin!"

"Clarabel it's probably just the same guard."

"This is not my guard!"

The man finally stepped out of the cabin, and the coaches finally got a clear view of him.

His coat had stans over the front, with one of his sleeves pushed a bit up his arm. His whistle floated across his neck from a chain, and his watch had a big crack across the frame.

Clarabel's eyes widened at him. She had a relief guard for the day, and she was not happy about it.

The other two coaches joined in the discomfort with Clarabel. Thomas was frustrated.

"Like I said! He's just as good as any other guard!" he whined.

"My guard takes proper care of my interior!"