Book 1: Part 2: Edward and Gordon

The goods yard was quiet at the big station. The sun had just started to come up, and the engines were sleeping peacefully. 

"Hey big engine! It's time for your first train!" whistled Thomas.

The other engines were awoken with a surprise. Thomas had been up early after hearing the news from the manager.

"You can't be late! You always complain to me when I'm not on time!" he continued.

The big engine groaned deeply. He did not want to have this negative attention drawn towards him. But it was already too late. The other engines in the shed were letting off so much steam from their laughter. Edward couldn't help but chuckle.

"It seems like you'll be pulling more important trains today." he said to the big engine.

"It's not my fault that you all can't see how grand of an engine I am! I shouldn't be having to deal with this dirty work. It could cause me to be damaged." 

"Ohh.. yeah. Maybe it's for the best that you stay in your shed today. It'll give me a chance to show you a thing or two around here."

The big engine wasn't having that. Once his fire was started, he set out of the station as quickly as possible. The laughing died down in the sheds soon after that.

The engines were quiet, but they soon set to work. Edward, however, was still in the sheds. He had no new jobs assigned for him that day, and he was once again stuck with Thomas in the yard.

That was, until the manager came.

"Edward, we need you at the big hill near Maron. Reports have come back lately that some engines have had trouble reaching the top. Could you go down there for a while to help them out?" 

"Are you sure my help is needed, sir?" asked Edward. He was completely shocked by the request.

"You're the only engine available in the yard to take it. I doubt that Thomas would be let out of the yard any time soon."

"Hey!" called Thomas from the back of the yard.

Edward was pleased to be out of the sheds for another day......

"Can we get a move on? I have places to be!" shouted the big engine to the wagons.

"Not until you treat us with the respect they deserve!" one of them answered back.

"Yeah! We can't be pushed around all day! You're lower than us!" said another.

The big engine never thought he could have been more insulted than he had the night prior, but the further he got from the big station, the angrier he became. When he had reached the other end of the line, his anger was about to burst.

"Those filthy things don't understand how much my importance matters to this railway. Without me, they would be nothing!"

"Yeah right." said one of the other engines in the yard. "And my left piston is pulling the weight of my trains. You're not that important."

"Pah. Like you would know, you don't even have a name!"

"Neither do you, and yet you say you improve this island. Get a hold of yourself, I'm getting my next train."

The big engine's face fell. Everyone around him was treating him so poorly. He didn't deserve this, did he? No. His entire presence improved anyone and anything he came close to. 

"Are you sure we're meant to take this train?"