Book 1: Part 3: The Sad Story of Henry

"Edward, are you sure you'll be alright?" asked Thomas.

"Yes I'm sure I'll be fine. After all, worse things have happened to some engines."

"Really? Like what?"

"Well I can tell you about 'The Sad Story of Henry'."

"What, you mean our Henry?"

"Yes," laughed Edward. "I do mean our Henry."

"Well what happened to him? What's so sad about his story?"

"It happened about a year ago." started Edward.

"It was the summer of 1922. The spring rain had left the ground wet and loose. The first tunnel at Ballahoo had been completed for some time. Henry was the main express engine at the time. He was painted a nice dark green, and his brass beamed in the sunlight.

He was much more cheerful at this time. He pulled his express with pride, but also stayed humble. He was always nice to everyone he met, and even shunted his own trains.

Henry loved taking the passengers across the island. He was never late, and always kept to the schedule no matter how much it changed.

Every summer, a few new engines arrived from the mainland. They were on trials for their different purposes. Some took goods trains, and others took the express for Henry. He wasn't bothered by this, and it gave him extra chances to rest at the eastern station."

"How come I never met Henry already? I worked on the island longer than him!" questioned Thomas.

"He was always so quiet and polite. He didn't make his presence known. How many of the other engines do you know besides me an him?" answered Edward.

"Edward, are you telling Thomas about my accident?" said Henry as he puffed into the shed.

"Yes I am, Mr. Rudely Interrupting." remarked Edward.

Henry chuckled. "Well this is my story you're diving into. Would it be alright if I finished it from here?"

"Yes I would love to hear it!" exclaimed Thomas.

"So yes, that summer was very different from the others as far as I can remember. The rainy spring season had let the ground get loose, accidents started to happen. Some tracks began to sink into the mud, causing engines to derail while on trial.

I was very helpful that season. There were so many accidents that year, I couldn't count them on the trucks in the yard. But one accident in particular really changed everything.

The Ballahoo tunnel was slowly collapsing due to the mud. The bricks that were put inside weakened when the ground became loose. As engines passed through it, dust fell from the ceiling and covered them. I was one of those few engines at one point.

My accident happened when I was the one pulling the express. The keystone at the top of the tunnel has loosened enough so it was able to fall out of place with the movement of the engines inside. Before I was about to leave, one of the trialed engines told me about it.

"Hey Henry, the tunnel down the line seems to be a bit precarious doesn't it?"

"I know. It's been worse and worse this year. I'm not entirely sure how long it'll hold."

"I think when I was passing through I saw light passing through the keystone. I'm don't know if that means anything."

"When I head to the other station I can inform the director of it and everything should be sorted soon."

"Alright, thanks Henry. I'll see you later tonight."

So I went down the line with the last train of the day. Many of the passengers on board were very important people here to see the director.

As I came to the tunnel the keystone was clearly wobbling, so I decided to slow down to get a better look.

"Driver, the tunnel doesn't look too safe does it?"

"No Henry, it doesn't. We'll just have to take it slow this time. Hopefully we can get through."

I slowly crept into the tunnel and I was just about to pick up speed one of the major support blocks fell down from above.

"Driver we need to get out of here! Now!"

So as my driver put me into reverse, more blocks kept falling into the tunnel. The light from the other end vanished from my eyes as the blocks kept falling closer and closer to my face."

"So what happened next?" asked Thomas.

"Well." Henry paused. Thinking very hard. "I didn't make it out of the tunnel. Almost."

"You were crushed? But you're still here now."

"Well, my boiler and smokebox were under the weight of the rubble. But my crew and the passengers made it out alright."

"Yes." said Edward. "For the next few months, everyone assumed Henry was a lost cause. But when the new tunnel opened his old crew tried to restart him."

"When they dug me out in the fall, they struggled to get me to move. My wheels were caked in mud and they wouldn't turn." sighed Henry.

"Edward came with the breakdown train when it was still here at the station. I went to the works at Crovan's Gate and they said I was fine, just a little dirty. But when I returned, the express had already been given to the big engine. He was more powerful and faster than I am- was."

"Oh. I'm very sorry that happened to you Henry. Maybe I can play a trick on the big engine for you?" grinned Thomas.

Henry laughed so hard steam came out of his pistons. "No Thomas, I think that's quite alright. The big engine's already put in the sheds for his terrible behavior the last few days."

"Well we better get some sleep you two, tomorrow we're moving to the new sheds across the island." remarked Edward.

The big engine had been sulking in the sheds all day. While the other engines came and left throughout the day, he sat in the back grumbling to himself.

"Hello there, you must be the big express engine I hear all about." called a voice.

"Who wants to know." asked the big engine.

"Oh it's just me, the manager of this part of the line." said the voice. "I was looking forward to having a chat with you."

"Really. Will this chat be about my terrible behavior I keep hearing."

"No. I'd like to hopefully get you back on that train you so desperately love. And let you have a name for yourself."