//*Chapter Six*\\

•Asher•

Luke and Alex watch as Julie stumbles for an excuse about why four dudes just appeared and disappeared from the stage, but my mind can't focus on anything other than the boy beside me.

We both go to talk to the other but I beat him to it. "I'm sorry I acted like a total dick." I say and his eyes widen in panic.

"No! It's not- I mean, it's my fault. I shouldn't have snapped."

"It's okay Reggie, I get it." I say, holding my tears back. Stop it. You don't deserve to cry. "I know I can be annoying sometimes...and really weird."

"No that's not-"

My whole body visibly tenses as if I clenched in every muscle only to release it shortly after. I didn't mean to do it. It just happened. It always just happens.

"Are you okay?" Reggie asks me, his saddened expression has now turned into one of worry.

"Y-yeah, it just happens sometimes." I reply.

"This is wild!" Luke whisper shouts, successfully distracting Reggie from our current conversation. "They could see us when we were playing, but not when the music ended."

Reggie's face suddenly lights up with an idea. "We should double check." He says before hopping back on stage and shaking his ass in front of everyone in the school. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entranced by that sight.

When he realizes that no one else can see him, he hops off of the stage and runs back in our direction. "Yeah, I don't think they can see us."

"I wish I couldn't see you." Alex mutters making Reggie look at him in offence.

I wish I could see that everyday.

"Wait, what?" Reggie says, voice cracking slightly, turning back to me with red cheeks.

Shit. I must've said that out loud.

"I said I uh, have to go pee...slay?" I try horribly to cover up my mistake.

"Umm, okay weirdo..." Alex butts in. "Cmon guys, let's go scare Julie by the lockers! We should all go into a pyramid, oh my god, it would be so funny."

"You guys go ahead," I say. "There's somewhere I gotta be right now."

They all look at me weirdly. "Dude, you're dead." Luke states bluntly. "Where could you possibly have to go?"

I let out a long sigh. "I just...I gotta go." I say and then I poof out without a warning.

I know not to go to the beach since that's were they'd go looking for me if they decided to follow me. I instead decide to go to the museum Willie and I use to meet at. When I arrived, it was closed so there weren't any lifers here.

I think I've been sitting in the museum for at least a couple hours when a jolt of pain suddenly hits me and I crumble to the ground.

"That looks like it hurts." A familiar voice speaks from behind me.

I whip my head around to glare at the traitor. "What the fuck do you want?" I seethe.

"I'm sorry, okay? I didn't think-"

"No! You didn't think because you believe that in life nothing can go wrong! Well guess what?! Obviously it did or we wouldn't be ghosts right now!! For fucks sake Willie, you skated right into a car because you thought you were fucking invincible, well you're not, and neither am I, and I was okay with that until you took away the one thing that keeps me going!!!" I rage.

"Umm, Asher?" He tries to interrupt, looking nervous.

"No! You're gonna listen to me! When I still had freedom, I could sing in front of people whenever I wanted. Singing was never a hobby, it was a privilege. An escape.

You took that away from me, and with it, my life."

"Asher, I think-"

"Enough! You don't get to try and defend yourself because now I'm gonna die! Again! Thanks a lot, Willie!!"

"You're gonna die?"

My eyes widen at the broken voice behind me. I turn around so quickly, I get a little dizzy.

"Alex." I breathe out.

Tears pool at his eyes, as he stares at me like I'm already gone.

I can't stand to even look at his heartbroken expression so I do the only thing I know how to do; I run...or in this case, teleport.

I poof to the first place I can think of which just happens to be the beach. Big shocker.

I look around at the sea of people scattered across the sand and I see two young boys chasing each other through the beach; they remind me of Alex.

"Everywhere I turn, I hurt someone
But there's nothing I can say to change the things I've done"

A few people on the beach turn to try and figure out where the music is coming from but none of them can, so they move on and I keep singing.

"Of all the things I hid from you, I cannot hide the shame
And I pray someone, something will come to take away the pain

There's no way out of this dark place
No hope, no future
I know I can't be free and I can't see another way
I can't face another day

Tell me where, did I go wrong
Everyone I loved, they're all gone
I'd do everything so differently but I can't turn back the time
There's no shelter from the storm inside of me

There's no way out of this dark place
No hope, no future
I know I can't be free and I can't see another way
I can't face another day

I can't believe the words I hear
It's like an answer to a prayer
When I look around I see
This place, this time, this friend of mine

I know it's hard but you found somehow
To look into your heart and to forgive me now
You've given me the strength to see just where my journey ends
You've given me the strength to carry on

I see the path from this dark place, I see my future
Your forgiveness has set me free
Oh and I can see another way
I can face another day!

I see the path, I can see the path
I see the future
I see the path from this dark place
I see the future

I see the path from this dark place
I see the future
I can see the past
I can see the future."

I only let one tear fall before quickly wiping it away and poofing back to the studio.

Luckily, Alex isn't back yet.

I have a feeling that won't last long.