//*Chapter Nineteen*\\

•Asher POV•

"We made it!" Reggie shouts. "Julie's just going up onstage right now.

She stands by her piano and grabs her microphone before smiling tightly at the audience. "Hi, I'm Julie. Umm...tonight I would like to dedicate this song to my mom. She's been there with me, every time that I've played and I want to thank her for not giving up on me."

The audience smiles at her in adoration. I even see a few tears.

"I'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to four special friends." She says and we know she's talking about us. "Who brought music back to me. It was their dream to play here. This is for them. This song is for anyone who's lost their way. Step into your greatness. Don't give up. Stand tall. Thank you."

She begins to play on the piano. "Dudes, she thinks we're gone!" Luke shouts in panic.

I put my hand on his shoulder in comfort. "Then let's show her that we're not."

"Don't blink
No, I don't want to miss it
One thing, and it's back to the beginning
'Cause everything is rushing in fast
Keep going on never look back
And it's one, two, three, four times
That I'll try for one more night
Light a fire in my eyes
I'm going out of my mind
Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall
Whatever happens
Even when everything's down
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall
I gotta keep on dreaming
'Cause I gotta catch that feeling
Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

Alex suddenly appears on stage with Reggie following right after.

"Right now
I'm loving every minute
Hands down
Can't let myself forget it, no
'Cause everything is rushing in fast
Keep holding on, nevеr look back."

Luke starts flickering on and offstage as Julie stares at him in worry and anticipation.

'Come on, Luke' I think. 'You can do this.'

"And it's one, two, three, four times
That I'll try for one morе night
Light a fire in my eyes."

He suddenly appears fully and starts singing the next few lines.

"I'm going out of my mind
Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

Julie starts harmonizing and I take that as my cue to pop on stage, so I use the little energy I have left to try and get me up there but just like Luke, I start flickering.

"Whatever happens
Even when everything's down
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

I poof onstage, but not without a painful jolt and a gasp from the audience. Reggie looks over at me with concern but I tell him with my eyes that I'm alright.

"I gotta keep on dreaming
'Cause I gotta catch that feeling
Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

I sing the next part solo.

"Like I'm glowing in the dark
I keep on going when it's all falling apart
Yeah I know it with all my heart
Ooh, ooh
Never look back."

Alex stands up from where he playing the drums and gives us a taste of his awesome voice for once.

"Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

Reggie takes the next solo.

"Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

Julie sings the next part and we all join in, singing together like one connected family.

"Stand tall
Stand tall
Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall
Whatever happens
Even when everything's down
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall
I gotta keep on dreaming
'Cause I gotta catch that feeling
Whatever happens
Even if I'm the last standing
I'ma stand tall
I'ma stand tall."

We all connect our hands and I smile at the happy look on Reggie's face.

I look out at the audience and notice that even Carrie is clapping. Then I notice the two shell-shocked faces beside her: Andrew and Bobby. Well, shit. That's a problem for another time, I suppose.

We all take a bow before the boys and I poof offstage and into the comfort of the studio.

I look at Luke, Reggie and Alex, and I notice that they're still here. "No, no, no, no, no." I mutter to myself. "This isn't right, you three were supposed to crossover. This was supposed to solve everything.

We all suddenly get hit by a huge jolt that knocks us all down.

"We lost guys." Luke tells us. "Let's just lay down and hope that Julie goes straight to bed when she gets home."

"She won't." Alex says. "She's gonna come out here."

"Pfft, no she won't." Reggie dismisses.

We all get shocked by another jolt and I can feel myself slipping away. Tears fall down my face.

"I don't have much time left." I tell them all, and Reggie shakes his head in denial but doesn't say anything. He only ushers me to crawl into his arms as he hugs my limp body against his.

"I have to tell you guys something." I say, even though I've told them watered down versions of it before. "When I moved away, I didn't want to leave you guys. Andrew made me. He told me that my parents would never accept the fact that I'm gay and that it would be better if we just left."

They stay silent, waiting for more.

"When I was living with him, he made me think that I was lucky to have him and that nobody else would want me and I believed him. Then one day I had another one of my random spasms that I get sometimes and he got mad. He said that I was a freak and started to beat the living shit out of me. I was used to the punching, but the kicking was new."

The boys all look at me, horrified.

"Eventually he kicked me too hard and in the wrong spot, making my neck snap. That's how I died." I finish. "I just wanted you guys to know the truth before I'm gone. I still believe in you guys. I know you'll find a way to make it, because I'll be looking out for you the same way that Rose has been looking out for me. I'll always be there."

Reggie's tears soak my cheeks as they fall from his face but I don't mind it. "Please don't leave me." He pleads.

I give him a soft but pained smile. "Never." I tell him. "I love you, Reg. I always have."

His face blurs from my vision and all I can hear are his broken screams before the noise cuts out and I'm face to face with a familiar looking woman.

"Rose."