18

I couldn't help but nod, my face flushed with warmth. I was sure that he could feel my heart racing as he held me close, and I felt like I was melting in his arms.

Just like how I felt in the ballroom that night, I felt safe and secure, like nothing in the world could harm me while I was in his embrace.

Then I remembered - He had no recollection of that night, and that brought a wave of sadness washing over me.

I wanted to stay in his arms forever, but I knew it was only a momentary respite from reality.

I allowed myself to enjoy it for this moment, savoring the feeling of safety and comfort that his embrace brought.

"What's wrong, are the birds scaring you?" He asked.

I shook my head and smiled, trying to push away the feeling of sadness that had suddenly taken over me.

"No," I said softly. "I'm just enjoying this moment."

He looked at me with a concerned expression, as if he could sense the sadness that had suddenly taken over me.

Once again, there was a rustling in the trees, but it sounded less threatening this time.

Then the noise stopped, and I felt my body relax. I took a deep breath, relieved to be free from the fear of the unknown.

I looked up and saw a flock of birds flying away. I watched them until they were out of sight and smiled at the sight of their graceful wings.

Suddenly, a small creature, hidden in the trees, got excited and started to fly. It flapped its wings wildly, trying to keep up with the flock of birds.

But being too young for its age, it starts to fall behind and eventually, it gets too tired and starts to descend towards the ground.

With each flap of its wings, it desperately tried to catch up, but its youthfulness caused it to tire quickly and its efforts were in vain.

The little creature fell from the sky, hitting one branch after another until it finally fell on top of me.

I was scared, not knowing what the little creature was or what it would do. I jumped, my heart racing as I waited for the creature to make its move.

The creature lay still, seemingly unaware of my presence. I cautiously reached out with my hand and felt its soft fur, relieved that it was only a harmless baby animal.

I was shocked and scared, but I could not help but feel a strange sense of connection with this small, vulnerable creature. I gently picked it up and inspected it for injuries.

"It's a Japanese flying squirrel," Max said as he inspected the creature. He pointed out the markings on its fur, telling me about its species.

"It looks like it must have been separated from its family and is trying to find its way home."

He glanced up at the flock of birds that had flown away, his expression full of sorrow. I looked at him and nodded, understanding his concern for the stray creature.

I gasped as the squirrel slowly stirred in my hands. Its eyes opened slowly and I could see the fear in its gaze.

I wanted to protect it, to help it find its way home, but I had no idea what to do. I held it close and whispered soft words of encouragement, hoping to reassure it.

"Hey little guy," He said softly as he carefully reached out his hand towards the squirrel.

The squirrel cautiously sniffed his hand and satisfied with the scent, the squirrel stepped closer and allowed Max to pet its head.