0

"Let's get this tightened as much as possible, Princess Estelle," Marina whispered, tightening the undergarments extending from below my chest to my hips.

Apparently from Marina, by tightening these undergarments, it would help create a silhouette of a smaller waist and exaggerate the curves of the hips, giving me an elegant and voluptuous appearance.

"But does it have to be this tight?" I gasped, pleading for any amount of oxygen to keep me living.

"No no no, you must show this lovely body of yours to all of the handsome men in the ballroom," She explained, tightening it to the peak of her ability and tying it into a bow.

What person would want to see a body like mine when everyone is disgusted by my skin color?

Slipping into my white dress, I glanced into the mirror as Marina did the finishing touches on the back of my gown. My mind raced with questions of how people in the room would view me - would they judge my skin, or would they see the beauty of my gown?

I glanced into the mirror at the table. My hair got done into a bun with a tiara and my makeup was freshly applied in the Palace. I was nervous, but I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I had worked hard to get to this moment. I was proud of myself and I was ready to take on the night with grace and confidence.

I saw myself with my normal expression. I was frowning. Why do I appear so sad? Is this how I normally look like? I tried to smile and I still looked upset.

"Do you still want to wear the mask Princess Estelle?" Marina asked as she entered the room, unsure of the object in her hands.

She displayed the mask in front of me and it shimmered in the evening rays of the window. A mask, an exact description of a mask would either amuse or frighten others but I only started wearing it for my own protection.

It was the Queen's idea when I was revealed to the people of Luxor that I wouldn't be noticed. This is so I could explore the country without being noticed.

Unluckily, a photographer had taken a picture of me without my mask, and it had been published in a newspaper, making national news.

For that reason, I wasn't allowed to leave the Palace so there would never be an issue with my safety.

Taking a close look at the disguise, I could not help but notice the blue mask that left my mouth uncovered with bright glitter and beads. Additionally, I noticed the two dark holes for my vanity eyes were gazing at me with shame.

You weak girl, you need my help every time you are scared! Why don't you try fighting your fears without me?

I reached for it hesitantly and took it from Marina's hand before staring at her. "I will wear it tonight,"

"Of course Princess Estelle, it is your choice," She reassured, taking the mask from me and gently placing it against my face.

As I looked in the mirror again, I seemed to look different from usual but it was a chance. I just hope people won't recognise me. I took a deep breath and decided to take the plunge. It was a chance for me to be someone else for the night; someone more daring, more courageous and more confident.

"The ballroom dance will start in an hour Princess. A guard will call you by then," Marina explained, doing the finishing touches. "I hope you have a good night."

I nodded, not taking my eyes off the mirror as she bowed down and left the bedroom. I glanced at the clock, my heart racing. I was overwhelmed by a mix of emotions - excitement, fear, and anticipation. I knew this was a chance to show off my dancing skills and make a good impression in front of all the important guests.