16

When I walked into the Physics class, I felt eyes piercing into my soul as I strolled toward my seat.

Unfortunately Max decided to have a chat with his guard outside of the class and the teacher hadn't arrived yet.

As I got myself ready for the class, Max had come over and sat down at the table beside me.

"Last time I checked you didn't sit here," I said to Max with a smirk. He laughed and shrugged.

"Well, I figured you looked like you needed some protection so I thought I'd join you," he joked with a smile.

"Besides, these aren't assigned seats," He continued, taking his own books out of his bag.

"Okay my knight and shining armour," I joked.

Max looked surprised by what I said but shrugged it off as he thought it was something that the people of Luxor said to each other.

Oh how he was wrong.

I immediately stopped talking when I saw the owner of the seat came storming through the front of the entrance door.

"Who is this guy sitting on my seat?" The guy yelled in a loud tone, standing in front of Maxwell.

Max didn't seem to hear the boy's loud statement and continued talking about his days in Luxor.

"Maxwell, I think you should move back to your original-" I started to assure Max before he stopped talking.

The guy had tapped his shoulder and Max slowly turned around to face him.

"What?" He snapped at the boy, making him jump a little. "Can you not see I'm talking to her?"

Maybe the talking didn't make the boy be scared at first but his eyes would have definitely make me run for my life.

His blue eyes had an intensity that was unmistakable; it was a look that could make anyone feel small and scared. His icy stare was enough to send chills down my spine.

I could never forget the feeling of being in his presence; his energy was powerful and mesmerizing.

"Sorry, my bad," he said, breaking the silence, moving to a different seat.

Max looked at me with a smile. "Where were we?" His face softened, and the intensity in his eyes had vanished.

I felt a wave of relief wash over me, and I realized that he wasn't as frightening as I had initially thought.

His warm smile was inviting, and I felt at ease in his presence. His friendly demeanor was the reassurance I had been seeking, and I knew then that I was safe.

"We were talking about Luxor," I answered, my voice suddenly unsteady.

I was surprised by the sudden shift in the conversation, but his reassuring gaze helped to settle my nerves.

"Luxor is such a beautiful place," I added, my voice now confident. His smile and nod of approval showed his agreement.

"I heard it's an amazing destination for sightseeing," He said. "This is definitely worth the trip,"

"Yes," I agreed. "It has so many remarkable historical sites and monuments that it's difficult to take it all in during a single visit."

"Then we'll go for a week," Max suggested, "when school is on holiday. That way, we can take our time and enjoy everything it has to offer."

I felt unsure about spending a whole week away, but I also wanted to see everything that Luxor had to offer.

Even when I lived there my whole life, I was hardly allowed out of Marina's sight, let alone to stay overnight outside the Palace or the school. I was nervous, but I was also excited to finally do something on my own.