Chapter 1

I walked along the path, as raindrops started to fall. Sliding my earbuds in and turning on the music. I could listen forever.  Every beat was as if the pain was leaving. I was so focused on the music that I didn't realize I was now lost. Everything around me was unfamiliar. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw what looked to be a van, pulling up beside me. The tinted window rolled down to reveal a man.

"Do you need a ride home?", his voice was as cold as ice.

I was taken by fear and could barely open my mouth to speak. "No, I'm fine. My house is right across the street."

The man replied with a chuckle and said, "You don't need to lie. I was simply asking a question."

My heart was racing. I wanted to run but feared he would follow. I put on a fake sweet smile and said, "I'm not lying. I have to get home now. Thank you for the offer though. Bye."

As I was about to leave the man said one more thing, "Just be careful. There are a lot of bad people who could take you." He snapped his fingers and added, "Just. like. that."

I knew I needed to get out of there now. "Ok thanks for the advice.", was all I could say. I walked toward the street. I wanted to run instead, but I had to be smart. I didn't want him to be suspicious. I crossed the street, only to be met by a row of houses. All with lights off. I went to the first one I saw and banged on the door. No answer. I then pulled out my phone to call someone, just in case the man was still there, but it died. I angled the phone just right to where the reflection showed the van slowly pulling away. I waited till the van was about to turn, and ran the other direction. I kept running as fast as I could. With every step my breath grew shorter. I knew I needed to stop so I ran to the nearest little nook I could find. I stopped and sank to the ground.

As I sat on the ground, I closed my  eyes and took deep breaths. In, out. In, out. My eyes flashed open to the sound of footsteps. Standing in front of me was the man from before, and two new guys. I got up and started to run toward them to get out. Pushing my way, as hard as I could, to get past them. One of them grabbed me while the other pulled a hood out of his jacket. I stomped on the feet of the guy holding me, and broke free. I started to run until I was in front of the first guy. I faked left and punched him in the face. He reached for me while I hitched my leg behind his and pushed him down. The other two men grabbed me and threw the hood over my head. I kicked and screamed but they held on tight. They threw me in the van, bashing my head against the wall, on the way in. Everything went black.

I woke up to the voice of a man. "What the hells the matter with you? I said don't hurt her! And you go and knock her unconscious!?" He had a thick Spanish accent and his voice was soothing. "Aye dios mio", he sighed.

I slightly opened my eyes to find the hood was taken off and replaced by a cloth covering my mouth. I heard footsteps coming closer. It was a new guy. A very attractive man. He came closer until he was right in front of me. He leaned in closer to my face, and removed the cloth.

"Who are you!?" I cried.

"What's your name chica?", he asked, totally disregarding my question.

"Please just let me go!", I pleaded. Tears stinging my eyes.

He leaned in closer and, with his thumb, he wiped my tears away. "Hey, hey, hey don't cry. You're gonna be alright." He actually sounded sort of sincere.

I began to plead again, "Please! Why are you doing this to me?"

He pulled up a chair and sat down in front of me. "Trust me, I didn't want to. You know, it was a good thing my men found you. Some creep could've got you." He chuckled slightly. "A beautiful woman like you just walking the streets at night? Not very safe." He tisked "But I get it. You need time alone in order to think."

He was surprisingly spot on. "You don't know me."

A playful look came across his face as he smiled. There was something so kind and alluring about it. "Well lucky me. I have plenty of time to learn." He stood back up to leave. "I'll be back." He turned and pointed at me. "Don't go anywhere." He laughed while he walked away. I was all alone again. Left surrounded by only my thoughts, fearing what might come next.