Chapter 21

"Nah," she lied, laughing as she shook her head. "I think I would have died. You're quite gullible, though." He scrunched up his face at her, going for a displeased expression that she found incredibly endearing. She couldn't help herself from simpering at him.

It was silent as they ate, and she continued to sneak glances at him while he tasted the meal. He caught her staring but didn't say a word, just continued chewing after he chuckled through his nose. Unlike most guys, he ate so nicely, and he looked cute with one cheek puffed out a little—

There was something wrong with me.

Julia stabbed a piece of chicken and stuffed it in her mouth, her brain waging some sort of war against her. Smiling a little at the delicious taste, she tried to keep her expressions neutral when she realized how weird the facial expressions she was making must be.

"You look a bit conflicted," Zane pointed out through the silence, making her cringe. Of course, he'd notice.

Embarrassed, she picked at the food on her plate and replied. "I'm just thinking too much." Actually, I was just thinking about how I'm way too attracted towards you even though I've only known you for less than a month. But who cares. You're cute, so we should cuddle.

Like hell she would say that.

She poured some juice into her cup and took a sip, suddenly feeling dehydrated.

"We all seem to be." He assured her, his eyes seemingly distant. "No one said the world was easy to deal with. Life was made to challenge all of us, regardless of the circumstances."

"I sometimes wish things were different."

"You took the words right out of my mouth."

There was silence between them, creating an atmosphere that prevented the two from eating anymore. The air was too thick and tense to enjoy it any longer.

"Do you sometimes desire a life without being a spy?" She asked softly, daring to look at him. His gaze softened before he nodded slowly, sighing.

"Of course, I do." He whispered, loosening his tie from around his neck. "There's only one good thing about being one, though. It is a bit cliché, but it's true."

"What's that?"

"Meeting you," he admitted, flashing her a smile. "Cliché, right? Just like what I said about the moonlight on your skin. Although...what I said was true."

"It's sweet," she corrected, smiling back at him. "If it makes you feel better, I'm cliché for thinking the same thing about you." She took a deep breath before deciding to tell him what she thought—how life seemed to be so much easier to navigate now that he was present. How he always tried his hardest to make her laugh, despite how low she'd be feeling. But before she could, he said something.

"Other than that, the life I lead is one that I hate."

The words sounded so cold, so dark, that it made her heart ache. She knew he'd meant it with every fiber of his being. She didn't know much about Solaris—just that they were allies with Virtus—but perhaps they ran things differently than her agency did. Julia was afraid to ask about his organization, mostly because he was under the impression that she didn't know who he worked for. If not for Mortifer, they never would have run a check on Zane in the first place.

It was quiet again, the sunlight streaming in through the blinds that were opened and covering the door that led to the back yard.

"Do you need a few minutes?" She asked hesitantly, looking at him. "I can leave the room if you want. Or I can stay."