Chapter 15

The cold wind blew at Julia's face, whipping her hair back wildly and nipping at her cheeks. She waited for the rest of her team to finishing changing as she sat on the curb, anxious to have something covering her face. They were already hidden in a secluded area and would travel on foot to where the drop was projected to be. If they hadn't come across the issue earlier, she wouldn't be so worried about protecting her identity. But Red knew what she was doing, and Julia would follow her instructions to the very end.

Red had mentioned that their masks weren't enough, and that she'd provide a bit more in case the interception went south. With Mortifer being a potential threat to this operation, Julia was sure that Red didn't want to take any chances with her younger agents-in-training. As Julia sat, all she thought about was how she had nothing to protect her face from the harsh and cold evening wind.

Another gust lashed out on her, making her whimper as her skin burned.

"You said you had a mask alternative?" She asked Red when everyone had finally finished changing. Julia wore a black turtleneck shirt under a hooded jacket with black skinny jeans and black boots. Her clothes were slightly loose fitted so she could maneuver around more easily, and her knife remained hidden and strapped to her lower back. Her clothes helped her retain her warmth, but it did nothing for the rest of herself.

"Our targets are higher risk, which means either side can eat equal losses if we aren't careful. You're all still new to this, and I want to convey emphasis on the importance of protecting your identity. So, I'm providing you something that covers a bit more." She explained, slinging her bag in front of her. "Not to mention, with those black masks, you look like you're trying to rob a bank." She snorted, rolling her eyes at them.

"Ah." Everyone stated in unison, compelling Red to laugh and shake her head at her crew. One by one, she pulled out a mask for each of them, handing it to their respective owners. They came in different shapes, forms, and dark colors, and as Julia observed each one, she realized they were meant for more than just coverage. They were meant to be intimidating as well.

"This one is creepy." Bryan observed, sounding pleased as he stared at the short horns that his mask had. His was a full mask, dark red in color with charcoal-colored horns and a twisted expression that bared pointed teeth. Michelle leaned over to look at his as well, impressed.

"It's giving Purge with demonic elements." She stated, flashing Bryan a grin. "I wouldn't want to come across you wearing that." Michelle's mask was black with gold details, shaped similarly to a jackal, but with sharper ears and slit-like eyes. The nose narrowed into a ferocious point, and with all the angular features, the mask looked haunting. It looked mystical, like something paranormal that'd step out of heavy fog, and it reminded Julia of Anubis, the Egyptian god.

The mask that Steven held wasn't something anyone would want to see coming out of the dark. His was the lightest out of the group, the color mimicking muted porcelain. It was a full mask that'd hug his face, and it was twisted and drawn into a weeping expression. Shadows and cracks were made onto the mask, and rather than the surface being smooth, it dipped aggressively over the forehead sections to create a devastating and disturbing cover.

Isaiah's mask was copper and jade colored, structured to look like the face of a lion statue. Red went full on plague doctor, as she held a black bird shaped mask with the beak extending ominously. Julia's mask was black as well, shaped into a dragon skull that'd cover most of her face save for her jaw. It even had the remains of a set of dragon teeth, and small horns peaked at the hairline of the mask.

"What happens if our identity is compromised?" Steven asked carefully, staring at his mask intently.

"You kill anyone who's seen you." Isaiah replied coldly, unable to detain the truth from them. It was an obvious solution, but one that none of her teammates had ever committed before.