Chapter 4

"Is he here yet?" Julia asked early Monday morning as she walked up to Caroline and Sydney, stifling a yawn. Caroline shook her head, her bottom lip slightly sticking out to form a joking pout as she passed Julia a sword and shield.

"Terribly disappointing...looks like your intel was off." Sydney stated to Caroline as the entire class walked towards the gymnasium. Everyone was carrying cardboard shields and shortened yard sticks that resembled swords; their weapons for reenacting the war. Julia laughed to herself, amused by how creative yet equally childish Mr. Torrez was. It didn't matter to him that they were Sophomores in high school, he'd find any reason to get out of the classroom. His reasoning had been to engage the students since he knew a lot of them slept during his class, but Julia felt this benefited him as well.

"Okay, well, I can't wait to stab people with sticks." She joked, waving her ruler around.

"I've been waiting for a chance like this." Caroline stated almost too seriously, scanning her classmates in a threatening manner. Julia knew she had a few bones to pick with people but hadn't considered that this would be her method to handle unresolved feelings. She often forgot how vindictive Caroline could be.

"Just don't murder anyone." Sydney sighed jokingly, shaking her head at her troubling friend. Snorting at their foolishness, Julia reached the gymnasium doors first, zeroing in on a pair standing beyond the entrance. When Caroline and Sydney looked ahead, all three of their jaws dropped when they saw their professor speaking with an attractive student. He had shaggy brown hair with bangs swept back from his forehead, the locks tussled from him running his hands through it. When the girls stepped closer, he glanced at their direction, noticing the approaching group. He had brilliant gold eyes that held a mischievous glint to it, warming the hue.

Blinking themselves out of their trance, the trio quickly closed their mouths and hastily sat at the bleachers.

"Holy crap." Sydney hissed, fixing her bangs self-consciously. She had redone her hair during the weekend—now an eye-catching black with pale blonde highlights—but despite how neatly it sat, she couldn't help but fuss with it. Caroline and Julia nodded in agreement.

"His eyes are gold, right?" Caroline asked, shaking her head as she sucked her teeth. "So much for winning best eyes in the yearbook..." Julia laughed through her nose, amused by how strangely competitive her friend could be. The boy was pretty gorgeous, and anyone could easily lose themselves in those pools of molten honey irises. Julia rubbed at her eyes, her body already aching for some rest. It was no one's fault but her own, as she chose to stay up late to watch a few movies with her father. But at least she hadn't been late again.

Sweeping over the students chatting around the gymnasium, Julia wondered how they were going to enact a simulation of the war—or whatever it was that Joey had planned. There was a gym class on the other side of the room, who were already starting their stretches.

"Julia!" Mr. Torrez called out with his hand raised in the air. "Can you come here for a moment?" She groaned softly as she rose to her feet, walking over to the pair hesitantly.

"This is Julia Evans." Mr. Torrez told the new student, a lazy smile lighting up his features. "Julia, this is Zane Martin." Julia shook his hand, briefly wondering if the movement was too stiff to do to a fellow classmate. She repeated the name a few times in her head, the name strangely foreign to her.

"Welcome." She greeted him as her professor turned to her.

"You'll be showing him around until he gets used to his schedule." Julia nodded, determining the task to be minimal and something she could handle.

"Sure, Jo—"

"Mr. Torrez." He corrected, eyes narrowing slightly in a 'don't-you-dare-start' manner.