Chapter 40

The clattering of a long chain rooted to the ground echoed throughout the underground cells as Julia lifted her legs up to her chest, tightening herself into a loose ball. She rested her chin on her knees and stared at the metal bars in front of her blandly, clearly bored and somewhat not surprised by the new living conditions. They had actually put her in a cell this time, somewhere in who knows where, down under. At least she was alone.

She stretched her arms out again, hearing a satisfying crack from her stiff bones. Despite the cuff around her right ankle, she was able to move freely around the tiny space that she was given. However, the constant sounds of metal chain clanging against the concrete ground irked her.

Immediately after they landed, Samil tossed her into the first cell he saw, sending her a sneer before slamming the gate shut and locking it. She didn't care that she was actually being treated as a prisoner now. She was too busy thinking back to how priceless Samil's face had been when her saliva smacked against his cheek and slowly slopped down his skin. In her honest opinion, the ridiculous grin she had on her face made things a lot more entertaining on her part.

He had prepared to slam his knuckles against her face in a fulfilling punch, but Zane had stopped the hurdling fist before he could. It was a complete shock to not just her, but to everyone else. Matthew instantly moved between Samil and Julia, pushing her to the seat she'd been occupying before leading Samil and Zane out of the room.

They had disappeared for the rest of the plane ride until they landed, leaving her alone. She hadn't felt peace like that in a while, despite how uncomfortable the rest of the passengers were after the mess she'd made. Using the feeling of self-satisfaction to keep her somewhat sane, the occasion giggles that chimed from her had probably contributed to everyone else's discomfort. In hindsight, they must have thought she was insane. Maybe she was.

Sighing, she shrugged before leaning onto the rock wall behind her, the bed underneath feeling a lot like a slab of concrete instead of a mattress. She closed her eyes and started humming a tune, which was the only thing she could do within the dim and stale space. The dungeon had an awkward smell, a little bit like moth balls, moss, citrus, and rust.

Hell, there wasn't even a bathroom in there. Did they expect her to use a corner?

The sound of rustling keys hit her ears and her body went still, waiting for the visitor to dare open her door and enter her cell. She had continued to hum, but the melody slowed into something darker and dangerous. The key in the hole, the click of the lock, and the sliding of the door all seemed to have happened simultaneously. Finally, she raised her eyes to take in the person in front of her, her humming halting to a deafening stop.

She stared at him before shooting a sardonic smile and scoffing loudly.

"Didn't think you'd see me so soon?" Julia questioned, cocking her head mockingly. She had been utterly devastated by his betrayal, but now she was only filled with anger. Anger for the pain he'd caused her, and anger for the situation he was put in. "What are you doing here, Zane? I expected to be the last person that you'd meet again, let alone speak to."

"Julia—"

"Dare apologize to me about what you've done, and I swear I'll make your life miserable with the remaining vitality I have." She instantaneously shot him down, smiling a sarcastic closed-eyed smile for good measure.

"But I need to." He insisted, inching closer to her.

"You already did, remember? It was that very night when you came to visit me before leaving me on Samil's front door like a freaking present." She stated slowly, her eyes flicking away from his gold ones. "I realized hours later that was the reason for you apologizing to me. Trust me, message got through."