Chapter 32

Her heart dropped, and it must have shown in her face, for Matthew beamed at her. "I can't believe you never thought of the fact that the agency your little boyfriend was in, was actually the one after you and your family."

"You're a liar. I know he works for Solaris." She hissed at him, seething from his false claims. "They're our allies. They confirmed he was one of their own." Despite her counter, Matthew made a pathetic attempt to bite back a laugh, eventually cackling as he tightened his grip on her.

"After feuding with Virtus for as long as we have, you really didn't think we'd know who your allies are? We bought them off, Julia. Solaris was Zane's cover."

"No..." She denied, shaking her head. "No—"

"Yes. He works for Samil. His mission from the very beginning was to become friends with you and get you to trust him." He laughed, glancing at the students who were watching him before turning back to her. "You fell for him, didn't you? Charming, likeable, thought he understood exactly how you felt? But he cared about his mission more, Julia. Do you know what the punishment is for betraying the agency?" Julia watched him wordlessly, her heart too weak and her throat too raw to speak. "Death."

"Marianna..." She whispered slowly, realizing now as to why she had run away and never came back that night. She had to leave, or else she'd be killed.

All because she warned Julia about Mortifer—her agency.

"That day when he kissed you in the pool..." He trailed, gently running his lips up her jaw line and to her ear. "He knew I was there."

"Liar." She countered weakly, refusing to believe him.

"Am I, Julia?" Matthew questioned, pulling his face over so their lips were barely apart from one another. "Am I?" Julia's eyes watered at the truth that suddenly hit her like a train, realizing that Matthew was right. That was why Zane had left her that night. That was why Zane had suddenly arrived at her school, immediately befriending her. The package of roses sent to the Virtus agent over a month before he came was planned, made to have Zane look innocent. His records were fabricated.

That's why he had looked so guilty when he'd kissed her.

Matthew broke away from her, allowing her body to crumple to the floor as he backed himself towards the windows. Just as he reached the counter below the windows, the door to the classroom crashed opened. He watched as people from Julia's agency piled in, dressed in SWAT uniforms with her parents and Red leading the group. Red took out a knife from her weapons carrier and threw it at Matthew, only to have him dodge it cleanly.

"It's unfortunate being a spy, isn't it, Julia?" He winked at her. "I'll be seeing you." He promised before jumping onto the counter and throwing himself through the glass window, shattering it. Red ran to the window, bringing half her body out to see how he would manage to survive a three-story jump. Seeing the rope ladder hanging in mid-air, she looked up into the sky to find a small helicopter, the sound of its blades echoing into the classroom. Seconds after, Matthew appeared holding onto it as he glided past them.

"No!" Red screeched, sending a fist at the remaining piece of window, causing that to shatter completely. She panted before quickly turning to face her student. "Julia..." She shook her head at her mentor slowly, the tears falling down her face effortlessly.

"Is everyone alright?" Her mother asked the students, who had jumped off the tables and backed away from the group. "Did he hurt you?" They shook their heads, but their eyes were now on Julia.

"I knew there was something about you that wasn't normal." David hissed, watching her with narrowed eyes. "So, you're some kind of spy."

"I don't believe this bullshit." Carla spat, stepping away from everyone.