Chapter 43

Julia awoke to the sound of blaring sirens, and flashing red lights temporarily blinded her. Her body shot up, pulse erratic, and her legs carried her to the bars that secluded her from the rest of the building. The metal chain clung onto her, but it was quickly removed by Zane as Matthew threw the door aside. She felt disoriented, but still managed to let herself be dragged out of the cell and out into the hallway. Despite the raging red lights, the dungeon was pitch black for a few moments before someone flicked the lights on.

"Bring her here." Samil stated in front of her, Julia's eyes darting to his bulky form a few yards away. She tried to grasp the idea of what was going on, and it didn't take long to realize that her family was finally there to get her back. Matthew shoved her forward and Samil's harsh grasp pulled her closer to him. Before Julia could blink, he was ripping at her clothes.

She kicked at him, only to have him grab her leg before Matthew spoke from where he stood.

"She likely has a tracker on her."

Julia heaved her leg away from Samil's hands and twisted her body to turn it into a roundhouse kick. Landing the lucky blow on Matthew, she turned back and avoided a hurdling punch from Samil. Someone grabbed her from behind, the touch feeling familiar as she recognized Zane's hands around her. She bashed the back of her head straight into his face, effectively causing him to release her. She didn't waste any time as she made a run for it.

Barely making it six feet, she was tackled to the ground by Matthew. He effortlessly lifted her up and threw her against the wall, pinning her there. Samil walked over to her and rummaged through the pockets of her hoodie while Zane looked through the leather jacket he had picked up from the bed in her cell. Samil moved down to her pants, found nothing, and continued moving down until his hands travelled to her boots.

"That's where she had her knife." Zane informed him and in one fluid motion, Samil lifted Julia's leg up to about the same level as his chest and pulled the small hook in the back of her boot down. Like before, the transmitters fell out of the hidden compartment and dotted the floor. He didn't stop to look through them, though. Samil simply shook his head before checking her boots thoroughly. To her dismay, he found the attached tracker.

"There's some wit to you after all." Samil admitted, smiling ruefully at her. "But, I'll be keeping this. Matthew, Zane, take Julia with you and move to the other side of the building. Their first motive should be checking the holding cells before following her tracker."

"What about you?" Zane questioned him, watching Samil carefully. "Surely you can't do this alone—you'll be outnumbered."

"I won't be alone." He replied before whirling around and exiting the basement. She felt someone tug her arm so hard that they could've easily taken it out of its socket. A growl echoed from her throat as Matthew pulled her along, Zane leading the way to the opposite side of the hallway.

"He doesn't trust you." Matthew murmured to Zane.

"He doesn't trust you either." He retorted, side eyeing him. Matthew shoved her forward, an indication to pick up her pace. "Where are they entering?"

"I don't know."

"You didn't ask?"

"Samil had no interest in what I had to say besides focusing on Julia." Matthew lashed at him, growing irritable. "You didn't ask?" It was silent as the three rushed down the hallways, every room they passed being empty.

"There's no one here—"

"Which means we stay here for now. You watch Julia. I'll check the hallways ahead." Matthew was gone, disappearing at the corner after taking a sharp left. Zane pulled Julia along towards the end of the hallway before turning into an abandoned room. As he told her to stay put, he moved to the windows cautiously and peeked out from the curtains, making sure not to move even an inch of it.