Floor Two

On Mark's way home from school, he reflected on his day. It was pretty good. He and Johnny had an arm wrestling match at lunch. He was positive Johnny was trying to impress his girlfriend. And he did because Mark had lost pathetically. She congratulated her boyfriend but told Mark it was okay. She was nice girl and Mark thought that she and his friend made an adorable couple. Johnny and his girlfriend were attached by the hip.

  Mark thought about his own love life, which was completely nonexistent. He was almost done with high school, and he still hasn't had one relationship. Not even one of those pointless ones that only lasted a week.

  He sighed at his failure at love and walked into the elevator. The boy from before ran towards the elevator, but it was already closing, and he wouldn't make it. Mark put his hand in between the doors so they would reopen so the boy could enter.

  When he got in, Mark leaned against the wall, trying to catch his breath. He pressed button three, and the mysterious elevator boy pressed five.

  "Thank you," he said under his breath. His voice was adorable, in Mark's mind, at least.

  "No problem. Um, what's your name? If you don't mind me asking, of course." Mark thanked God he didn't stutter because of how nervous he was. He swore he would've died.

  "Donghyuck." he quietly spoke, slightly looking up at Mark. His face was cute. Almost like a little bear.

  "Nice name. My name's Mark."

  "An American name?"

  "Yup, I'm from Canada, but I moved here two years ago."

  Donghyuck opened his mouth to say something else, but the elevator door opened. Mark wished he could talk to him more, but they were on a timer, considering they were in an elevator.

  Mark smiled and waved goodbye to him. He shyly waved back while looking at his feet.

  Mark entered his apartment and was instantly greeted with his dad, asking him questions. "Why the smile?"

  "I think I just made a new friend," he said as he took off his shoes. His mom walked in and waved at him.

  "Tell me about it," he said, walking to the table and sitting down. Mark followed his father and sat next to him.

  "Well, I saw him in the elevator this morning. We didn't talk. We were both in a rush. But I saw him just now and we talked a bit. I asked for his name. He said it was Donghyuck and asked for my name. I told him how we're from Canada and moved here two years ago. He was gonna say something else, but the elevator door opened. Also, he lives on the fifth floor."

  "I'm glad you're making more friends besides that Johnny boy. I mean, he's a good kid, but you need to get out of your comfort zone sometimes," he said.

"Yeah, I know. I'm gonna go to my room now. Bye."

  Mark walked into his room and flopped onto my bed. "Donghyuck, huh? I think it fits him. Hyuck, maybe I can call him Hyuck. It fits him even more."

  Mark stood up, walked to the bathroom, and looked in the mirror. "Hey, Hyuck. Wait, no. The sudden nickname would be weird. Okay. Good morning, Donghyuck. No, that's so uncool. What's up, Donghyuck? I like that. But I like saying Hyuck even more. It suits him. Hyuck, Hyuck, Hyuck, Hyuck." His name rolled so perfectly off of Mark's tongue.

  "Hyuck, wanna hang out sometime?" Wait, that would be too weird. We barely met, and he's already nervous as it is. It's so hard making new friends."