Chapter II: Second chances

Inside a small park, somewhere in Tokyo, a blonde haired girl and a brown haired boy were sitting on a bench.

They were Ayanokouji Kiyotaka and Shiina Mahiru, a couple of high schoolers who were late for school. However not an ounce of worry could be seen on their faces, on the contrary they seemed to be quite happy.

They had just come back from the convenience store where they had gotten some ice cream as per Mahiru's request.

When she had heard Kiyotaka ask about what ice cream tasted like, she had been unsure how to respond. It had been years since she had some so she kind of forgot it, she only remembered that it was sweet.

That's why she dragged him to the closest convenience store. Mahiru thought that it would be better if he experienced it first hand.

Mahiru was glad that she did it, otherwise she couldn't have seen a smile on Kiyotaka's face. When Mahiru laid her eye on his smile, she blushed so hard that she looked like a tomato.

In the past, Mahiru had been approached by handsome boys but none of them had managed to make her heart skip a beat. However the boy she had just met had managed to do it with only a smile.

Fortunately or unfortunately said smile had only lasted a second. Hoping to see it again, Mahiru had been stealing glances at him during their whole trip back to the park.

Mahiru wondered if there was something wrong with her, she had never felt this way. Unaware of her own feelings, she had gotten a small crush on him. Luckily before her thoughts wandered toward that dangerous direction she heard a phone ring.

Kiyotaka took his phone from his blazer's pocket. The caller was unknown, he thought of rejecting the call but he had the feeling that rejecting it would be a bad choice.

Thus he answered the call and put his phone on his legs on speaker mode. In that way he could keep eating his ice cream and talk to whoever was calling.

「Hello, this is Chairman Sakayanag from Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School. Am I speaking with Ayankouji Kiyotaka-kun?」

Kiyotaka had been surprised, he was sure that the only person who knew that number had been his caretaker.

「Yes.」Kiyotaka said. He was still enjoying his ice cream but he was no longer that concentrated in it.

「Well Kiyotaka-kun, I'll try to keep it short. As you're aware, every year the school receives a bunch of students. The exact number doesn't matter, however this year I had been informed that two students hadn't presented.」

「Although there is no precedent of this kind of situation happening in the history of the school, there are rules regarding it.」

「If we follow those rules, those students are no longer considered part of the school and the unoccupied spots are lost as we don't hold a waiting list like other high schools.」

「Nevertheless, I'm willing to make an exception with you.」

「Wait a minute, what about me!?」Mahiru said. Anyone hearing it could tell that she was worried.

「I was not aware you had company Kiyotaka-kun.」

Kiyotaka didn't respond. Seconds later a sigh could be heard from the phone.

「You must be Shiina Mahiru-san. Right?」

「Yes. I'm really sorry chairman. Something happened and I couldn't attend.」Mahiru pleaded. Although only Kiyotaka could see her, she was bowing.

「I'm deeply sorry, Mahiru-san. I'll already deal with your paperwork.」

「No way!」Mahiru said, depressed.