AU Chapter VIII: Mother-in-law

Gone.

The girl who was going to be his wife was gone.

Just like that.

There was no trace of Mahiru in his home. The clothes he had lent her were folded on top of his bed and his bed was in pristine condition, like no one had slept there.

Kiyotaka wanted to search for a note or something but to his eyes it seemed a fruitless endeavor. If Mahiru wanted to leave a message she would have left it in plain sight.

Kiyotaka was disappointed.

He wanted to spend some quality time with his fiancée. Eating together wasn't that special but it was little things like that what mattered.

That's why he had brought some food with him. Having breakfast with Mahiru was something he was really looking forward to.

Unfortunately it seemed that he was going to eat by himself like always.

The only good thing was that he hadn't gone overboard with what he had bought. It was plain coffee and pastries from the convenience store he worked at. He could eat everything by himself so it was fine.

Knock

A knock on the door.

Knock

Knock

Followed by another knock and so on.

It was like whoever was knocking the door couldn't wait. Thus Kiyotaka went to open the door and see who it was.

To his surprise, it was someone he knew. It was his fiancée, next to her a brown haired woman was standing.

She had a pissed off expression on her face. On the contrary, Mahiru had a worried look on her face.

Slap

The brown haired woman had slapped him.

"Wait, Mom!" Mahiru cried. At the same time she had jumped to hug her mother so she wouldn't slap Kiyotaka again.

"Stay out of this, Mahiru!" The brown haired woman chastised. "I need to chastise this boy!"

Kiyotaka was perplexed, he didn't remember doing anything that deserved a slap.

"Did I do something wrong?" Kiyotaka asked, not hoping to get an answer.

"You have the nerve to ask that, boy!" The brown haired woman said angrily. She was fighting to get free from Mahiru's hug.

"I really mean it."

"Are you feigning ignorance?!" The brown haired woman had freed herself and was looking at Kiyotaka as if she wanted to kill him. "You put your hands on my daughter!"

Kiyotaka remembered hugging Mahiru but that was it.

"What's wrong with that?" Kiyotaka asked quizzically.

Physical contact was something bound to happen in any kind of relationship, be it friendly like shaking hands or shorts hugs or romantic where hand holding or kissing would happen.

"Didn't you think of the consequences?" The brown haired woman said coldly. "Mahiru hadn't finished highschool yet."

"Mom, Kiyotaka said he would take responsibility." Mahiru said, trying to placate her furious mother.

"I assure you, mother-in-law. I'll make Mahiru happy." Kiyotaka said proudly.

Sadly his words had the opposite effect, instead of reassurance, it had infuriated her even more.