AU Chapter V: His circumstances

Inside a small apartment, a couple of teenagers were sitting in front of a table. They were a blonde haired girl and a brown haired boy, both of whom were looking at the screen of a laptop. They were Ayanokouji Kiyotaka and Shiina Mahiru, a pair of teenagers who technically had just gotten engaged.

Currently the two of them were searching on the internet for a restaurant that had delivery service. The reason why they were doing it was that there was no food besides ice cream in the apartment. Dinner time was close and both Kiyotaka and Mahiru started to feel hungry.

After some search, they had decided to order a pizza, for one simple reason. Kiyotaka's home didn't have tableware and silverware for two, plus there was a promotion that said if the pizza didn't arrive in 30 minutes it was free.

"Ayanokouji-kun, we really need to get you some tableware." Mahiru said, then she took a sip of her cup of coffee. "Cups too." She was looking at how he was drinking from a glass rather than a cup.

"You can call me by name, you know." Kiyotaka pointed. "I'll be happy if you do."

"Would you?"

"What man wouldn't be happy to be called by his name by a cute girl like you?"

Upon hearing those words, Mahiru blushed a little. "Kiyotaka." Mahiru said, however it had come as a whisper almost imperceptible. Thankfully, Kiyotaka's keen senses made him able to hear it.

'That would do for now.' Kiyotaka thought inwardly. "When are you free, Mahiru?"

"Are you asking me on a date?" Mahiru asked doubtfully.

"I just wanted your help but we can do that too." Kiyotaka proposed. "I'll just warn you, I've never been on a date before."

From what Kiyotaka had heard on one of his jobs, some girls set high expectations on their partners thus to avoid that kind of scenario he confessed his inexperience.

"Really? I found that hard to believe." Mahiru said with skepticism.

The playful way Kiyotaka had shown himself to Mahiru made it impossible for her to believe in his words. It didn't help that to her eyes Kiyotaka was one of the most handsome boys she had seen.

"You'll know anyway but I'm really bad at socializing." Kiyotaka confessed.

Despite his status as the masterpiece, Kiyotaka was really bad when it came to social interactions, at least he used to be. He had come a long way from the time he left that place, still it remained as one of his weak points.

"You seem good enough to me." Mahiru pointed.

Setting aside his almost unchangeable expression, her interactions with Kiyotaka had been quite normal, she would understand if he had stuttered or seemed nervous but nothing like that had happened.

"Thank you." Kiyotaka said. "I've improved a lot."

Kiyotaka couldn't help but remember his first week in the outside world, about how he blew up his first interview for work or how he had problems interacting with some customers.

"How were you before?" Mahiru asked, her eyes were full of curiosity, they were reflecting her desire to know more about her soon to be husband.

"I'd rather not talk about it." Kiyotaka confessed with a somber expression.

"You can't keep secrets from your wife, Kiyotaka." Mahiru said, at the same time her lower lip protruded in a sulky pout.

"We are not married yet so it's fine." Kiyotaka said nonchalantly. "Wait until then." Then he flicked her forehead softly with his fingers.