Chapter 39 ~ not the end

Recap:

"The dark mark" she whispered horrified. "Death eaters. In the castle!"

We looked to the castle that we could see from a distance. Above it was a large skull with a snake coming out of its mouth. The same sign as I saw on Draco's arm. The dark mark.

My heart seemed to stop beating for a moment.

Chapter 39:

My heart was pounding extremely fast in my chest. I felt blank and nervous at the same time. My body was moving without me really processing it. I trailed behind Harry who tried to support Dumbledore into the castle. He was very weak and unable to defend himself. I just had to concentrate in putting one foot in front of the other and to keep on going. Why did they have to attack when Dumbledore was at his weakest? He was the best chance we had at survival. He always knew what to do. Right now though he could barely stand on his feet and form two words all together.

When we finally entered the castle there was a lot of noise coming from all around us. People were shouting spells and jets of light missed us by an inch. The nervous feeling I had previously felt disappeared and made place for a determination and courage that I didn't know I had.

"Let's get him to the astronomy tower" Harry whisper-yelled in my direction.

I nodded towards him, thinking how lucky we were that we had drunk the felix felicis earlier tonight. "We can try to reach out for help up there" I answered.

It wasn't easy getting up there but somehow we managed to get there without a scratch. I tried not to look at the people who were shouting and screaming. We were on a mission. I could only hope that none of our friends got hurt. I swallowed deeply and focused again, I had to be at my strongest.

In the astronomy tower we let go of Dumbledore for the first time since we arrived back. He was a bit wobbly on his feet but found support by the wall. Harry started asking him things and I poured him a glass of water which he gladly accepted.

"We should send a letter to the ministry quickly" I told them. I didn't wait for an answer and called for an owl.

"We have to go down and help the others right after we're done" Harry said.

We were just about to look for some parchment when we heard noises down the stairs. I freezed, and felt my heart racing fastly. I looked at Harry who had the same look of panick on his face.

Dumbledore reacted. "Get down there" he pointed towards a hiding spot. "Get down there and don't come out whatever happens. You have to promise!"

We quickly made our promise and went into hiding. In between the floorboards we could see him standing there, looking towards the staircase. I was hoping in the deepest of my heart that it weren't enemies that were approaching us.

"We should help him", I whispered to Harry, "I don't want to hide like some coward."

Just as we were about to move, we couldn't. My body was frozen to the spot. I could move my eyes but my body felt lifeless. I tried to fight it but it was in vain. I glanced to the side to see Harry equally panicked and unable to move.

The footsteps were louder now and my heart raced uncontrollably fast. By the sound of it there was only one person coming. When I saw who it was my heart stopped beating for a moment. It was Draco. I let out a sigh of relief that it was him, until I started to think. He was one of them.