chapter 1 ~ Something new

Author's note:
I have had this story in my mind for a long time and finally decided to write it down. This chapter is mostly to introduce the characters and give some background information about Alice. Please let me know what you think I'd really appreciate that!

Chapter 1 ~ Something new

Going through that magic wall at platform nine and three quarters quite overwhelmed me. Like buying magic books and a wand wasn't already strange enough. It was the start of an exciting but dangerous story, that was a fact.

I am Alice, I'm 16 years old and a witch. I didn't know about the witch part until a few months ago. Normally students receive their Hogwarts letter at the age of eleven. well...mine came five years too late. My birth parents died when I was one year old so I don't remember anything about them. I have no idea if I still have any family alive at the moment. The only thing I do know now is that my parents were magical. Somehow my letter must have gotten lost. Otherwise I would have gone to Hogwarts a long time ago, just like everybody else.

I grew up in an orphanage, not knowing who I was. I thought I was just another ordinary girl with a boring life. Occasionally something strange would happen though, usually when I was really upset or angry, but I always blamed it on my lively imagination.

I would have never have guessed that I had this vault filled with gold at the wizarding bank 'Gringotts'. I was surprised to say the least when I saw this little fortune waiting for me. A few months ago they made me buy all these books with spells, strange animals and potions. A cauldron, a wand, potion ingredients..., things I had never dreamed of being real.

And with they I mean Albus Dumbledore, the head of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, the school I would attend for the next two years. I got a personal letter from him in which he said he would make sure I was tutored properly so I could make up for everything I missed. Like I could ever catch up the past five years in just a couple of months, this man is crazy! Until recently I didn't even know that magic existed...

I was impressed, to say the least, when I saw the Hogwarts express and all the students who were carrying similar trunks as mine. Everything seemed like a dream, I just couldn't believe it was really happening yet. I didn't have any problems leaving anyone behind. I didn't have any family and I didn't have many friends in the orphanage I grew up in. I boarded the train and sat down at an empty seat, amazed by everything around me.

A few minutes later, when train had left the station, this girl with long curly blonde hair and a dreamy gaze in her eyes came in. "Can I sit here?" Her voice was soft but clear.

"Of course!" I replied, I was glad to finally get some company.

"I am Luna Lovegood, and that's a really cute kitten you have there!" she said, while looking at Hobo. Yes, I named my cat Hobo, he is the most adorable creature on earth! When I read that pets were allowed at Hogwarts I just couldn't resist.

"Thanks," I said happily while petting Hobo behind his ear, "I am Alice by the way."

"It's nice to meet you Alice. I never saw you before, are you new? You can't be a first year surely." She looked at me, her head slightly askew, curiosity written all over her.

I shortly explained why I was new and apparently she was also in her sixth year. She radiated warmness and she was so friendly that I liked her immediately.

"That's a funny looking magazine," I pointed at the magazine she was holding in her hands...upside down.

"This is the Quibbler, my daddy runs it," she stated as it was the most normal thing in the world. We read the Quibler for a while and just chatted a bit until she had to go to change her clothes. She said I could keep the Quibler and I happily accepted it. There were many strange articles in it. I didn't understand most of it, but it was fun reading. I sighed, I had so much to learn and so little time.

I had prepared as good as I could for the last couple of months. I managed myself through the books from the first and second year. I've been learning basic spells practically the entire summer, read the history of Hogwarts and so on... It really intrigued me. I could stay up all night reading my books and learning new things. Finally I felt like I was doing something with a purpose. 

I was left alone when Luna went away, but not for long. I heard the door go open and expected Luna to be back already but instead when I looked up I saw a boy with blonde hair and an angry look on his face standing in the dooropening.

"Are you 'Alice?" he asked in a bored tone. He clearly didn't want to talk to me, he made that very obvious.

"Yes I am," I said, a little confused. Who was this guy ?

"I was sent to give you this." He handed over The standard book of spells, grade 3. Dumbledore already mentioned in his letter he would give me these books so I could continue learning once I came to hogwarts.

I took the book and thanked him friendly while wondering if this boy knew how to put a smile on his face. He'd actually be quite handsome if he took that frown away. 

"You don't look like a third year, why do you need this book?" he asked rudely. He looked at me like I was the most stupid person he had ever seen.

"That's personal," I snapped. I knew hem for less than five minutes and I already disliked this boy.

I was about to get really angry with him when I heard someone say; "Leave her alone Malfoy!"

A girl with ginger hair took the seat next to me, and the boy, Malfoy, left. I would get him back later though, he could count on that. Right now I was just grateful for her help.

"I am Ginny," the girl said shaking my hand, "Ginny Weasly."

"I am Alice, Alice Potter."