Chapter 36 ~ The chosen one

AN: Here is the next chapter. I know it's late :( but better late than never! Only a few more to go! Vote and comment on what you think!!! Enjoy.

(This is not edited yet, that's because I really wanted to post this tonight. I'll touch it up later this week)

Chapter 36:

I woke up by Luna, who was shaking me quite roughly. “Alice come on, you really have to get up now.”

“It’s still too damn early”, I muttered while turning around, not opening my eyes. We had been back in the castle so late this night from the detention with Snape that I had barely had any sleep.

“Come on Alice, we’ve only got half an hour until class. And we have Snape so you shouldn’t be late again.” She pulled the blanket away from me leaving me cold.

I groaned. “I seriously hate Snape so much! Even more after detention last night.” Not really wanting to, I got out of bed and got ready in no time.

When we got to class everybody, except for Snape luckily, was already there. Luna went in first and sat down next to Pansy so I took the remaining seat next to Draco, not that I particulary minded. I greeted him softly but didn’t get an answer back. Great he was in that mood again. I sighed and elbowed him.

“What?” he hissed at me. He turned around to look at me coldly.

I shrugged. “You’re obviously in a good mood”, I observed. He didn’t even reply, he just shrugged. Had I done something wrong? Maybe he was just tired from yesterday night or maybe he just didn’t want to talk for a moment. I convinced myself that it was probably nothing.

The day did get better very soon though as Snape tried to embarrass me again but failed miserably in his attempt. He asked me to perform a very complex non-verbal spell in front of everybody on Draco. He didn’t look too happy when I succeeded I must admit. I, on the other hand, couldn’t keep the grin of my face. I looked at Draco who only rolled his eyes at me. Nobody could ruin my good mood today anymore. Or so I thought. But I have been wrong more often, haven’t I?
That afternoon I hung out with Ginny and Luna whilst enjoying the weather. The sun was showing herself more often and many students could be found in the gardens. We laughed and joked until my tummy hurt. We acted like nothing was wrong for a couple of hours and it was so nice.

That night I felt light and happy. I gathered some books and headed towards the classroom where Malfoy had been tutoring me for months. When I walked in he wasn’t there yet so I started working on some spells on my own. About half an hour later, when I thought he had stood me up, he came in and closed the door behind him. He looked confused and distressed and didn’t say anything. He took a seat and started going through one of my books. I didn’t dare to say anything because the air between us was thick with tension. I could feel that something was off.
I waited patiently and looked at him expectantly. He met my eyes once but looked back to the book immediately. He was skipping pages rapidly, not even paying attention to them. He got up and took his wand. I figured that we were going to practice then so I stood up as well. However, when I did, he sighed and turned his back to me. He started pacing. I couldn’t bear this silence anymore. I felt like there was a knot of uneasiness in my heart and I wanted to make it go away.

I just started to call out his name when he talked. “I can’t do this anymore” he said quietly but loud enough for me to hear.

The feeling of uneasiness increased. I swallowed. “You can’t you do?” I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

He turned around to look at me and then turned back immediately. He looked down. “I’ve tried, but I just can’t. It’s enough.”

“Draco please, you’re scaring me. Tell me what’s wrong, I’m sure we’ll figure something out” I tried to calm him. But who was I kidding, I was the one that needed to calm down.