24.

"You like it, bubba?" Key smiled as she finished giving BJ a tour of her new apartment

He shrugged, "I ain know you was looking at places."

"I really wasn't.. but moving out has been on my mind for a minute." She told him.

"This don't make no sense on how you got here tho." BJ said looking around at the apartment.

"Well today I just woke up and viewed a few places for fun, then fell in love with this one." She explained.

He shook his head as she sat on the kitchen island.

"What's wrong?" Key frowned.

"You only eighteen, Key."

She eyed him in confusion, "Exactly.."

"Ion see the need to wanna grow up fast if youn have to."

"I'm not a kid, BJ."

"And I ain say you was Key.. you a young woman fasho, but it's just you already gotta place to lay yo head. For free."

Key stayed silent as he continued.

"So it don't make no sense to move out." He told her.

"It's time for me to grow up, BJ. Plus you have a family." She argued.

He shook his head, "That house belong to you as much as it belong to me.. and Kay nem don't even be over there for real. So what you meaning?"

"BJ.. just let me do this." She sighed.

"I'm not stopping shit. Niggas already signed the lease, I'm just tryna understand the thought process."

"I can pay my bills if that's what you saying, and I qualified for this apartment. They not just renting to anyone."

He shook his head, "I'm not questioning funds, Key. I'm tryna understand the why behind all this."

Key huffed, not wanting to hear anymore of what her brother was saying.

She was doing well in school and making good money.

To Key, she was fully grown.

But to BJ, eighteen wasn't grown.

He had to take care of a whole household at that age, that wasn't something he wanted Key to deal with yet.

Shortly after their mom died, their dad was back in prison. This meant that BJ had to step up once again, but this time there was no other adult.

This left a nineteen year old caring for a sixteen year old.

While Key was old enough to take care of things, majority of the responsibility was BJ's.

Even before that, when Key's mom was extremely ill, BJ still had to take care of more things than he should've at his age.

He didn't get to really enjoy much of his teenage years, so he wanted that for Key.