part 10

Tara stays in the hospital for the rest of the weekend.

You don't let her out of your sight, not once, sleep curled into her side with your back against the hospital bed railing so she can have more space.

You think she kind of likes it, you fawning over her like this. You can tell by the way she grips you tight when you try to get up to go to the bathroom. Or when she insists she's too tired to shower alone.

The morning after she was first admitted, Sam shows up in a flurry, her new boyfriend Richie on her arm.

"What happened?" She asks, somewhat accusingly as she looks down at Tara's sleeping body, curled into your side.

You hesitate a moment. Sam's scary when she gets angry, and this would almost certainly make her mad.

"She mixed some pills. She was... upset."

"Upset?" Sam asks, "Upset about what?"

"Wes." Tara croaks out, stirring against your side, "He's missing."

Sam crouches down, brushes Tara's hair out of her face.

"Oh, Tara. I know. I'm so sorry."

Then, she grips Tara's hand, hard.

"What were you thinking?"

Richie's looking at you, a little funny.

"Maybe we should go and get some coffee." He suggests, "Let these two catch up."

"No." Tara says immediately. Grips a possessive hand around your waist. You press a kiss to the top of her head.

"It's a good idea. I'll be ten minutes. You can catch up with your sister. I'll get you some Jell-o."

She stares at you a moment, before relenting.

"Strawberry, please." She murmurs.

You press a kiss to her lips. Watch as Sam surveys you. Then follow Richie out of the room.

You've met Richie exactly once. Tara didn't like him, but you didn't think he was that bad. A little awkward, sure. Gangly but harmless. Sometimes, inappropriate jokes.

He cracks one now, as you're lining your paper cup underneath the coffee machine, trying to break the tension. You don't laugh.

Your girlfriend lying in the hospital with tubes coming out of her nose has somewhat ruined your sense of humor.

"So, uh... what do they think happened to that Wes kid?" Richie asks, out of nowhere, "They think it was Ghostface?"

You turn, sharp.

"No. He's missing, that's all."

Richie hums.

"That's the Sheriff's son, right?" He asks, "We ran into her on the way here. Wouldn't want to be the one who took her kid. That guy's in for a world of hurt when she catches him."

Your stomach churns, uncomfortably.

"You ran into her on the way here?" You ask, head tilting.

Richie nods, "Yeah. Told her about Tara. I think she's going to come and check on her later this afternoon."

Your stomach drops.

"Oh. Perfect."

Richie catches your tone, "You don't like the Sheriff?"

You pull your coffee cup out from the filter. Try to appear casual.

"She doesn't like us." You say, honestly, "She's- caught us. A few times."