part 24

Waking up is painful.

Everything hurts. From the wound in your stomach to the tips of your fingers, where shockwaves of pain bolt through you every five seconds. Your throat is dry, the lights in the hospital room are too light.

You groan, but Tara's kissing you before you can say anything. Her lips are salty, tainted with her own tears. She kisses you desperately, hands pressed to your face, like if she doesn't kiss you right then and there she might combust.

But she loses herself in the moment. Presses her body down too hard against your wound.

You cry out against her lips.

Then, she's withdrawing, eyes wide with worry.

"I'm sorry, baby, I'm sorry," She murmurs, hands fervent as she reaches down to lightly touch the tip of your bandage, "I didn't mean to hurt you."

You close your eyes, mind swimming. You can't think like this.

"Water," You croak, as watch as she scrambles up onto her feet, almost spilling the carafe of water all over herself in an effort to get to you.

"Here, baby, drink," She says, pressing the glass to your lips.

You gulp it back.

Water has never tasted so good. Like a cool, ice bath on a hot summer's day or a well of water in the middle of the desert. You glug it back, almost choking in an effort to get it down your throat and into your body as quickly as possible.

Tara rubs your back, soothingly. She presses a kiss to your forehead and holds the empty glass out, eyes questioning.

"More?"

You nod, fervent.

You finish off the last of the water. It burns, pleasantly, for a moment, temporarily relieving the quiet ache in the back of your throat.

But then, your mind wanders to the pain.

A sharp, tense, pin-like feeling just under your ribs.

You close your eyes, moaning slightly. It hurts so badly, you think you might pass out. Sweat breaks out across your forehead. Tara notices, immediately. She sets down the glass and rushes back to your side, pressing her hand over your forehead.

"What's wrong?" Tara asks, brown eyes wide and mournful, "What is it, baby-girl? Does it hurt?"

"Yes," You gasp, "Tara - I need something. Medicine. Drugs. Any drugs, please."

Tara draws in a sharp breath.

"I'm calling the nurse," She says. You open your eyes, slightly, watch as she hammers her hand down onto the green button beside your beds.

Her worried eyes draw back to you.

She leans down, smoothing the hair out of your face and presses a long kiss to your forehead.

"It's okay, baby." She murmurs, "You're going to be okay."

You hum.

The pain burns hot in you.

And before you can open your eyes again, you promptly pass out.

-

When you awaken, it's to the sound of Tara's voice in the hallway.

It's shrill. Loud.

Sam's talking too. You can hear her quiet requests for Tara to calm down amongst the spew of Tara's angry ranting. There's a male voice, apologizing.