part 23

In all her life, Sam has never seen so much blood.

It's everywhere. All over the back of her hands, in her hair. It's all over the floor, all over the ceiling, all over Tara.

All over you.

Everything is soaked crimson red.

She presses her hand a little harder against the wound in your stomach, trying to stop it. 

But it spills out, flushing the floor like it's a red sea.

Tara's sobbing.

Her hands are on your face, your eyelids have long fluttered shut. There's a pulse, Sam can feel it, but it's faint. Barely there. 

And there's nothing Sam can do but watch as she listens to her baby sister wail for you to open your eyes.

"Tara," Sam murmurs. She'd touch Tara's shoulder, try to snap her out of her grief infused trance, but she's too scared the moment she lifts her hands you'll bleed out all over the basement floor.

Tara rests her forehead to your cheek, the water from her eyes staining with the blood on your face, turning it a light shade of pink.

She murmurs something Sam can't hear. Presses her lips once more to the side of your cheek.

"Tara!" Sam says, a little more forcefully.

The ambulance should have been here by now. Sam had called ahead of time and then again once more. The moment you'd passed out.

But it's been ten minutes and there's no sign of them.

"Call them again," Sam instructs, once she's sure she has Tara's attention, "Tell them she's bleeding out."

Tara's bottom lip wobbles, but she does what she's told.

She sinks her face back down into your neck and presses her phone to her ear, her words a desperate mumble.

The ambulance arrive not five minutes later.

It's a flurry of lights, and stretchers and crime scene tape as the police follow, not long after.

These are Millwood police officers, and Sam doesn't recognize a single face.

But for all their questions, they don't get much out of either one of them. Tara's at your side, hurrying out with the EMT's as they pull your limp, bloodied body onto a stretcher, hooking an oxygen mask around your face and taking Sam's place putting pressure on your wound.

Sam follows, not wanting you or Tara far from sight.

"Is she going to be okay?" Tara asks, voice frail as they pile into the back of the ambulance. Sam presses her hands to Tara's shoulder in support.

They'd very nearly kicked Sam out. The ambulance isn't massive, and Sam had half-expected to be relegated to riding in a squad car on the way to the hospital. But Tara's near hysterical, and the only thing slightly calming her down is Sam's hand wrapped tight around her shoulders.

"We're doing our best, honey," Says the EMT, not unkindly, "But we need to focus on her, right now. Okay?"

There's a thick layer of gauze pressed to your stomach to soak up some of the blood. But within seconds it's coated through.

The EMT's barrel off to each other, almost speaking in code. Heavy medical terms Sam doesn't understand. But she gets the gist.

It's not looking good.

She squeezes Tara's shoulders a little tighter as Tara's whimpers break out into sobs.

-

When the ambulance pulls into the hospital they take you away.