part 25

You manage to sleep through the night with little disturbance.

Tara attempts to sleep (what looks somewhat uncomfortably) sprawled across your lap, the plastic hospital bed barrier jutting into her stomach before you pull her up and into the bed on your good side.

Sam makes a bed for herself near the side of the room by pushing two chairs next to each other.

You'd tell her to go home and get a good night's sleep but you know better than to suggest she leaves Tara. And she knows better to suggest Tara leaves you.

So you leave her be. Maybe, when you're moved over to Woodsboro General, you'll ask them for a pull-out bed for her. It's the least you can do, after all. She had, in all essence, saved your life. 

Nurse Rosario knocks a little while later.

Tara's still a little drowsy against your shoulder when she enters.

"How's my favorite patient?" Nurse Rosario asks, twinkle in her eye and a spring in her step.

"I'm okay," Says Tara before you can respond. She lets out a sleepy yawn, "Could have slept better, these beds are awful."

You share a look with Nurse Rosario.

"I don't think she was talking to you, babe," You say. She blinks, then blushes. You ruffle her hair, fondly, "I'm alright. No pain."

"Then, the morphine is doing its job," Says Nurse Rosario with a quiet hum. She checks your chart.

"Looks like you're being transferred today, around 11am. I'm going to redress the bandage, and then we'll give you a bath. Sound good?"

Tara sits up.

"A bath?" She asks, brow furrowed, "Like a naked bath?"

Sam sighs, heavily.

"I'm going to get some coffee." She mumbles, offering you a 'good luck, you're on your own' kind of glance.

The Nurse puts down your chart, nonplussed.

"What other kinds of baths are there, Tara?"

You bite your lip, rub Tara's back. Gone are the heart eyes she'd had for Nurse Rosario last night. Now, it looks like she might leap across the bed and punch her.

"I don't need a bath," You say, hurriedly, trying to get ahead of the problem, "It's fine. I'll have one when I get back to Woodsboro."

Nurse Rosario looks between you, a little confused. But she doesn't protest.

"Alright," She says, "Your call. I'll go get some fresh gauze and I'll be back in five."

Tara's seething when she leaves. 

An all too familiar darkness settles behind her eyes. 

She hops out of the bed, leaving you wincing at the way the bed shakes.

"That was so unprofessional," She says, with indignation on her face as she looks over to you, "Did you hear that, baby? She wanted to get you naked."

"She wanted to give me a bath because she's a nurse and that's her job." You correct, but Tara isn't listening to you.

She glares out the window, looking over to Nurse Rosario who's compiling medical supplies at one of the nurses stations.

"A bath? Right before you're about to be transferred to a new hospital?" Tara says, "It's outrageous."

"I'm sure it's standard procedure, babe." You say, voice tired.