part 26

The trip back to Woodsboro hospital is smoother than anticipated.

The morphine does wonders for your pain, but not so much for your coherence. By the time you're rolled out into the ambulance, you've told Tara how pretty she is at least six times and declared Sam 'best sister-in-law in the world' at least three.

Thankfully, Nurse Rosario is nowhere to be found.

Although Tara had mellowed slightly after your last talk, you're not keen for a repeat. After she'd plied you with enough morphine to take down a horse, she'd disappeared. Perhaps heeding the warning of Tara's stormy glare.

Tara rides in the ambulance with you, her hand pressed in yours. Sam sits beside you (Dewey had re-romandeered the car they'd stolen with a sigh and a forgiving smile).

By the time you're rolled into Woodsboro hospital, it's near noon. Your Dad's insurance has paid for a private room for him, your Mom and you and so you tilt your neck eagerly as you're rolled onto the floor, searching each face for the familiarity of your parents.

"Your parents are here," Says one of the EMTs, noticing the way your head tilts around madly, "Your Mom is getting a scan done, your Dad is with her. They're both okay. They'll be here soon."

"Thanks," You say, though it doesn't sate your anxiety. That won't be gone until they're both here with you.

The floor is awash with busy doctors and nurses.

Most don't give you a second look.

Except for one.

Nurse Dawson is standing near one of the nurses stations when you're rolled into your room.

You see her first, though Tara doesn't notice her.

And when Nurse Dawson turns and sees your girlfriend, her face falls.

Only for a moment. Her face conflicts, but the professionalism wins out.

She straightens her shoulders.

And you can tell by the look on her face she's the one assigned to you.

Tara smiles at you as the EMTs settle you into your new bed. Oblivious to the carnage she causes.

It's like some sort of reverse superpower.

The ability to somehow irritate every medical professional assigned to her.

You sigh and lean back into your pillows as the nurse approaches.

"YN. Ms Carpenter," She says politely enough, "Nice to see you again."

Tara looks over impatient. You can tell by the lack of recognition in her face she doesn't recognise the nurse. Instead, she looks over to Sam.

"Sure," Says Tara, nonplussed, "I'm going to need another bed in here for my sister. She spent last night on a couple of plastic chairs."

You look around the room.

There's two empty beds - presumably for your mother and father. It's cramped in here, more so than usual with your family reunion. You can tell before the Nurse speaks Tara isn't going to like her answer.

"We don't have beds to spare for visitors, Tara," Nurse Dawson says pointedly, "Perhaps you and your sister could come back in the morning."

Tara stares a moment.

Then her eyes narrow.

You tug gently at her hand trying to draw her attention.

"Babe," You touch her arm gently, "Maybe it's not a terrible idea. You and Sam could both go home and get some rest."