part 21

Nobody says anything for a good twenty seconds.

The Sheriff's face is stony. Serious.

You feel as if your heart has just dropped down into your stomach.

Tara's hand grips tight on your hip.

Sam blinks, mouth open like a fish out of water.

And then it's her who breaks the silence.

"He's gone?"

She blinks once more. Her words turn into a splutter.

"But he's dead."

The Sheriff swallows. You almost feel bad for her, the way she wrings her hat in her hands like she's standing in front of a courthouse of jurors.

"He was admitted to the morgue," She explains, voice soft, "There was a fifteen minute window where the Coroner was off shift. We think it happened then."

"You think what happened?" You ask, heartbeat hammering loudly in your ears, "You think he got up and walked out?"

"No," Says the Sheriff, a little impatient, "He was dead. He's definitely dead-"

"And you lost him?" Tara asks, her voice rising, "You lost a dead guy?"

The Sheriff looks at Sam.

"Perhaps we should do this somewhere more private?"

"Absolutely not," Sneers Tara, "You don't exactly have a track record of asking the right questions, Sheriff."

Except she does. And you know it. You touch Tara's arm, try to quiet her.

Let's not piss off the person who can haul you right back to jail, the look in your eyes says.

But Sam crosses her arms.

"Tara stays. She's right, Sheriff. First you try to pin six murders on her, then you lose the actual culprit. The dead culprit."

The Sheriff purses her lips.

"I'm not here to argue," She says, directing a pointed look at your girlfriend, "But I am here to find out what happened. Whoever Richie was working with likely took his body. Why? I don't know. But I need answers. And fast."

Sam furrows her brow.

"I don't know who he was working with," She says, "I didn't even know what he was doing in his spare time. Hell, I had no idea who he truly was."

She sounds a little agonized. Like it's her fault her boyfriend almost had her sister killed.

"But you knew him." Says the Sheriff, "You knew his patterns, his friends, his routine. If we can pin down some names, we might be able to find the culprit."

She stands a little taller.

"And I'd like you to come down to the station and help me figure it out. Please."

Sam looks at Tara, a little torn.

"I need to be here with my sister." She says.

"Your sister will be fine," Says the Sheriff, "I can arrange for a squad car. Two, if you need it. She'll be safe, Sam. They won't let anything happen to her."

"Fuck that," Says Tara, "We're coming. Down to the station. Sam, I'm not letting you talk to them alone."

There's fire in her voice. Fire that usually only sparks when it comes to you. You blink, a little surprised. Sam seems to be surprised by it too, going off the look on her face.