[15]

Shadow had been trying his best to remember anything about the two who had boarded the ship, yet he could remember nothing. He was only 5 when they joined and 6 when they left, the ship sinking soon after. That was nearly 21 years ago at that point, he almost felt bad for not remembering - especially since the two had taken a liking to him from what he had found in the documents. He wasn't even sure where they had said their goodbyes.

All he could remember was a sandy dock with a small path leading to a mountain village a few miles away. He hadn't seen such a landscape since that day - from what he remembered - or even got the name. His only real clue was that it wasn't anywhere he had travelled with Sonic, and even then they could be on the move. Mönatoro was a big place, far bigger than Mörigna. He wouldn't be able to track the place down without a map - all his maps were gone. He would need to somehow purchase maps and many other things before they left. He would also need to find his crew.

____________________________________________

Sonic wasn't having a better time. He had been trying to read through a book on Mönatoro and was having great difficulty. With his mother on his back, and his siblings often arguing he couldn't read. He didn't want to go to his room, he hated the place. It reminded him of his comfy room back on the ship in some way.

"Why are you reading so much, anyway?" His mother asked, snatching the book up from Sonic. "Well... I never got to go there and it seems like an interesting place." His mother scoffed, disguist evident on her face. "Well you can forget all about those years at sea. Your home, and life are here." Sonic rolled his eyes "I believe my home and my life are where my crew and Shadow are."

"MAURICE TIMOTHY HEDGEHOG." his mother was definitley angry now, she never used middle names unless murder was on her mind. "STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT SCUM! I REFUSE TO ALLOW HIM TO MARRY YOU - OR EVEN CAUGHT YOU FOR THAT MATTER. ONE MORE MENTION OF THAT MAN AND I WILL GO DOWN TO THAT BASEMENT MYSELF AND BEHEAD HIM THEN AND THERE."

Sonic shook his head "If news broke out about that, certain people would have your head." He warned, glaring eyes locked on his mother's. "You know this, do you not?" His mother huffed "You're just like your father!" She shouted. Sonic shook his head once more "I'm not, I'm like myself!"

His mother huffed, trying to calm herself. "Your father was a horrible man. He cheated on me for a man." Sonic shrugged "I don't see your point mother. You are forcing me to marry one of my shipmates behind my partners back." He spat "You are practically forcing me to cheat on him. Remember how much that hurt you?" Sonic argued, looking down. "None of us want this."

"Maurice, you are 24. You've been gone for 5 years. I believe its time you married and settled down. Your youth won't last forever." His mother reasoned "I know that, mother. But I plan to spend my life with someone other than Silver. Yes, he is in my ideal future but not in the way you want him to." His mother sighed "I'll have a think about it, Sonic."

Sonic gasped. Had she really used his preferred name? He grinned, hugging his mother for the first time in 18 years. "Thank you mother!" His mother, shocked, reluctantly hugged back. She pulled away after a while, handing him back the book before walking away. Maybe there was some hope after all.

__________________________________________

Shadow sat in the cell, fiddling with a piece of straw that had found its way into the cell. It was often bleak when Silver or Sonic weren't there - which was most of the time. A door opens in and footsteps following earned Shadow's attention. They were clearly feminine, heals clicking off of the stone. He could also hear some form of dress moving. It was definitley the Queen.

The two made eye contact, Shadow noticing the almost brokeness in the Queen's eyes. "Your majesty." Shadow greeted, not putting much care into how he said it. The queen nodded back. Silence issuing as Shadow watched the woman have a mental battle with herself.

"Do you love my son?" She asked finally. Shadow nodded. "Would you protect him?" Shadow nodded once again "With my life." "You wouldn't cheat on him or make him upset?" Shadow shook his head "I'm a loyal man, your majesty." The queen hummed approvingly. "I can see that, you have many opportunities to escape and yet you stay." Shadow nodded for the third time "I couldn't leave Sonic."

Aleena nodded "You seem as though you would be a fitting husband for my Sonic." Shadow's eyes widened, not only had she just told him he might have the opportunity to marry Sonic, she used his name. "Well, in pirate code we are technically married. Seen as most pirates are unable to marry, after 4 years of dating you are seen as a married couple by other crews aswell as your own."

Aleena tilted her head "You have weird traditions, might I say." Shadow nodded "Though they may seem weird to you, I grew up with them. I was born and raised on the first SS ARK." "So you are experienced." Shadow nodded "I should hope so, I have 27 years of experience." The queen eyed Shadow "You don't look 27." Shadow shrugged "Guess I'm just lucky to have youthful looks."

"It seems you would be a fitting husband." The queen stated "Speaking of husbands, I have news of yours." Shadow stated, studying her reaction. The Queen's mood darkened, head to the floor. "Please don't tell me anything about him. I don't want to disturb him for the second time." Shadow just nodded. "My apologies." He stated.

"I must go now, I have business to tend to." The queen stated, quickly walking away.