[18]

Sonic woke up to quiet voices towards the front of his room - coincidentally the same wide of the room as his bedroom door. He opened his eyes slowly, seeing Shadow pressed up against the ajar door, leaning his head out and whispering to what appeared to be a servant. He had very clearly hastily thrown on some clothes: Sonic's slightly larger shirt sliding down his slim, ebony shoulders with his trousers being slightly creased.

Sonic couldn't help but laugh slightly at the scene. Shadow was clearly tense, trying to smooth out whatever conversation he and, what Sonic assumed to be, a servant were having. They were whispering, being out of Sonic's earshot, but Shadow's somewhat smooth, calm voice was just audible, just now what he was saying exactly.

After awhile of watching, Shadow closed the door and sighed before dragging a hand down his face as he turned to Sonic. He gave him a deadpanned glance before going about his business as though Sonic wasn't there.

Sonic didn't hesitate to throw the covers off of himself, wincing as the cold air crept up his body. He walked towards Shadow, said hedgehog tying together a few bedsheets, doing a stress test every few knots.

"What was that about?" Sonic asked, watching his lover carefully. "Let's just say, we're lucky I wake up early." Shadow concluded vaguely. Sonic sighed "I'm guessing they almost found out?" Shadow nodded, concentrating on his knots. Sonic sighed in relief "Weird how my mother cares about what I do, but Manic can do the same and be let off." Sonic sighed. Shadow nodded in understanding. "She does think of you as her heir, people want a pure king."

Sonic groaned, rubbing hisbtemples in a circular motion. "I don't want to be king!" The laoiz hedgehog exclaimed. "I know Sinic, but don't push your luck. We're lucky my head isn't on a spike right now." Shadow reminded. Sonic knew Shadow was right, sighing. "Now get some clothes on before someone walks in." Shadow abruptly stated, looking at Sonic with a glare.

___________________________________

Breakfast went as well as Sonic had expected, Shadow sat to his left and directly across from Silver. Silver still called Shadow 'Captain' - as did Scourge - which seemed to annoy Sonic's mother to some extent. Shadow didn't pay it no heed however.

"So you're my brothers future husband?" Sonia beamed warmly. Shadow nodded "Although we are already technically married." Shadow replied plainly, his eyes locked on Sonia. The dark magenta hedgehog laughed, the tension getting to her, and moved her fringe as she thought of a reply. "What do you mean?" She quizzed, trying to sound friendly.

"It's pirate code." Scourge cut in. "Once you've dated for quite some time, you're seen as married by your crew and other crews. It also means other pirates can't take Sonic as hostage as he is 'married' to a captain." Silver nodded with a smile.

Sonia hummed with a smile, Manic now deciding to talk. "Seems like even pirates have respect, don't you think?" The green hedgehog asked his mother. The purple hedgehog smiled with a nod. "Shadow is such a gentlemen also, Sonic has a clear taste." She explained, indicating with a nod to the ebony hedgehog.

Sonic could tell she was lying, but he was just happy she was trying to see Shadow for who he was rather than what he was. It was a good start. Shadow just nodded as a thanks, not yet building up the courage to talk to Sonic's mother.

"Speaking of which~" His mother's smile grew into a grin as she stood up from her seat. She walked towards Shadow and Sonic's seats hastily. She placed her gloved hands onto their chairs and placed herself between them. "I've decided you two will be wed on Sonic's birthday. Its quickly approaching and would be much cheaper."

Sonic froze. He did want to marry Shadow, but on his birthday? He would have to give Shadow a present on his own birthday? Shadow wouldn't exactly be able to decline a date though. It had its pros and cons.

"Won't that take away from our birthday?" Manic asked, his face sharpening and his voice more hostile. His mother shook her head, a loving smile on her face. "These two will be wed in the morning with no reception and the birthday celebration will be held in the evening. The two may interpretate it as their reception or a birthday celebration."

Manic just nodded, giving Shadow a quick glance. Sonic noticed how Shadow returned the glance. Scourge must have noticed too, leaning closer to Manic and whispering in his ear. Whatever he said had clearly calmed him down seen as he relaxed a little and smoothed out the wrinkles in his clothes.

"So three weeks!" Sonia suddenly exclaimed, standing up from her chair. The older purple hedgehog sent her daughter a quick glare as she walked passed her to her own respective seat. "Ladies do not shout or stand up so suddenly." She reprimanded. Sonia let out a small sigh and apologised, Sonic's mother smiling soon after, she was clearly pleased.

"Can me and Shadow go for a walk around the village?" Sonic suddenly asked. He did want to let the crew know they were all okay and not to worry. Their plan wouldn't be executed for a while and so the crew could possibly move on, fearing the worst for Shadow, Sonic, Scourge and Silver (The quadruple 's' lol. Guess if your name begins with S you're getting dragged into this)

His mother sighed reluctantly "I'm not sure, Sonic." She replied, looking away in some sort of reluctance. "We have no reason to run away." Shadow stepped in. Sonic placed his gloved hand on Shadow's thigh, ensuring that his mother saw. Shadow jumped slightly, his head whipping to him in shock. Sonic ignored this however, staring at his mother. "I have Shadow here." He stated. "I just want to show him around."

His mother looked away, biting her lip as she thought for a moment. "Fine." She concluded, standing up and wiping her muzzle with a napkin. "But everyone else is going too." As if on queue, Mephiles walked in, seemingly looking lost for a moment before he realised everyone was staring at him. "Good morning." He stated, sitting next to Silver.