29

"You're beautiful."

"You're beautiful."

"You're beautiful."

I haven't been able to stop playing those words in my head for the past three days. I don't know why, but I need to pull myself together before I walk into the dean's office. He emailed me last night and called me in today to 'collaborate'.

I take a deep breath and try to erase the words from my head, giving the wooden door a light knock as I straighten my coat.

"Come in." His voice speaks from the other side of the door.

I hesitantly turn the knob as I give the dean an unsure smile.

"You're Miss Noelle Benjamin, correct?" He intertwines his fingers together to rest on the desk.

"Yes sir." I nod.

He stands up, offering his hand. "I'm Dean Kumar. It's nice to finally meet you Miss Benjamin. Please, sit."

I take a seat in one of his lovely leather chairs. They smell like expensive cedar wood and essential oils. The essential oil scent explains itself because he has an air purifier sitting on the windowsill.

"So, Noelle. How is Columbia treating you?" His question almost makes me laugh. Now how do I answer this question for the dean?

I huff, "If I'm honest dean, my journey at Columbia is quite the work in progress. But I enjoy my classes very much, if that's what you're asking."

I dig my nails into my palm after I say that. Do I sound like a complete and utter loser to this guy?

"Yes, well I was asking a little bit of both. I'm especially glad you enjoy your classes Noelle, because your grades sure do prove it." He pulls out a sheet that has my name bolded on the top of it.

"You're excelling in your nursing labs. Your reports are nothing short of brilliant. I believe that deserves some appreciation." He slides the paper to me.

I barely scan my eyes over some of the old lab reports he's showing me. My heart sinks at the 90 in Sociology. I don't count 90s as A's. 90s are like the participation points you get for showing up.

"However, I've heard many stories about you Miss Benjamin. Which is why I'm guessing you feel make you stand out here." He clears his throat, linking his fingers together again.

Good God, even the dean knows. Will I ever be able to escape Lethal?

"Nonetheless, you've still been offered many nursing job opportunities at our programs, which as you know, you never accept. We have everything about you in our system but your postal address."

I gulp. "Yes sir."

I fear that if I speak any more, I'll choke on my words.

"One of the reasons I've brought you here is to sort that out," He slides me another piece of paper that has my date of birth, my full name, and an empty spot for my postal address.

"And the other, is to offer you an opportunity personally. Columbia has one of the best medical programs in the country, and I believe you belong there. With this kind of work and dedication, you're going places Miss Benjamin." He smiles at me.

Holy shit.

I part my lips, not knowing what to say. If I take this, I'll have to give my address to them. I'm not sure if that's a risk I'm willing to take. But if I don't, I'll lose yet another chance to make something of myself.

"What do you think? Would you like to take a spot in our program?" He raises his eyebrows.

I open my mouth to say something, but then I halt when my phone vibrates in my lap. I flip it over to read the notification and immediately pull my lips into a line.