Chapter 5

Solí sprinted as if death chased after her. Fortunately, she had been correct in her assessment of the beastman's boots. He couldn't keep up with her in her lightweight moccasins. But that didn't mean he didn't pursue her. The more she ran, the further apart they drifted, but she could still feel his presence and no matter how infuriating she found it, she couldn't ignore how much their connection called to her.

By the time she caught up with the remnants of her tribe, she was winded beyond the ability to speak. So she fell into her father's embrace and fought to regulate her breathing.

Solí's sister and brother came up on either side to embrace her, while she gasped and cried. Pango collapsed in the grass and panted for air beside her. He had run probably twice as far, though his body was made for long distances.

The tribe's people went about searching the area for lilac bushes while Solí spread out on the forest floor and tried to catch her breath. Her chest ached, and she had such a stitch in her side from running such a long distance that she felt like her side was splitting open.

She could feel the beastman's presence out there on the edge of her perceptions. The sensation was nearly enough to make her cry out. They needed to move far away and quickly so that the beastman couldn't trace them. The urge to run finally brought her to her feet, and she proceeded to help everyone gather up some lilac so the remnants of the tribe could mist-walk to Panui where her betrothed lived.

They made a very solemn search party. Tears and sobs wracked their bodies as they meandered around the forest looking for the lilacs they required to perform the mist makutu. Finally, after only finding one bush, they decided that only a few people would travel quickly to Panui and bring back enough lilacs to help all the villagers make the voyage.

"I think Solí should be the one," her father said once they had all circled back up together around the only lilac bush they had found.

"But I'm exhausted." She felt her chest deflate at the thought of coming face to face with Tokah, her future husband, in her current state.

"We're all exhausted. The request should come from the royal leaders of our tribe. I'll stay to protect the people while you go." It was not a request. Her father had ordered her to go.

So she nodded and stepped into the circle one of the villagers had already made out of lilac sprigs. She closed her eyes and tried to activate her spirit but she couldn't remain stoic. Tears streamed down her face as she relived the terrifying experience of watching her home burning before her eyes. The reminder that her mother and older brother had met death at the hands of the cursed beastmen made her chest ache. She sobbed and dropped her face into her hands.

Solí's sister Miraka stepped up to her and rubbed her shoulders tenderly. "We need you now, sister. Come through for us. Relax and awaken your mana."

She wiped the tears from her eyes and looked up.

From where she had sat on a fallen log, Waiata the wise woman stood. She carefully made her way up to Solí, leaning on her walking stick and taking the hand of a helpful lad. "Solí, you cannot force it. You must breathe deeply and look inward to your first sacred circle. Visualize the red flower blooming. Focus on your breath and channel your inner strength. Repeat this mantra: I withstand the obstacles of this life."

Solí blinked the tears from her eyes yet again and repeated the wise woman's words.

"I am protected by my people." Waita's voice was strong, and Solí repeated the words in a similarly strong tone of voice. "I am connected to the earth. I am grounded in this world."

Solí repeated the words, and her spirit came alive in a flash. Pango came to stand in the circle with her. She opened her eyes and spoke the words that would turn them both to mist.

She oriented herself and flew through the air.

~ * ~

695 Words ~ 6294 Total