Chapter 34

Solí followed Pango to the borrowed nohonga where Waiata had been sleeping. Aer'ehk followed after, his tail between his legs as he looked around nervously, but it was early morning and few people were out and about. They found Waiata sleeping in her borrowed nohonga.

Pango led the way in. She knelt and woke the sleeping wise woman. Aer'ehk had paced by the entrance for a moment before he followed her in, and when Waiata saw the gray wolf, she sat up with a jolt and raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"There's no need to fear. Waiata, this is my soulmate, Aer'ehk. He's a wolf now. He'll remain a wolf until his dying day."

Waiata nodded. "That is a very wise choice, Solí. Just know that when he learns our language, he will be able to talk to you. When that happens, he might try to convince you that you need to free him from his current state and run away with him."

Solí nodded sadly. "When he matures and learns Värian, I'll be prepared to tell him that he's spending the rest of his life as my bonded wolf. This will serve as his prison for what he did to our people."

Waiata nodded solemnly. "I'll inform Manaia of what you have chosen to do. We will leave for the beaver tribe's village after we have breakfast."

"Thank you. I'm going to the coyote tribe's village to tell them about Kuao. I'll be back as soon as I can." Solí left the nohonga, looking back to see that Aer'ehk willingly followed, with Pango bringing up the rear.

She went to the river to bathe, because she wanted to freshen up before she went to see the fox queen. Pango and Aer'ehk followed her to the bank of the river. She removed her clothes as Pango placed himself behind Aer'ehk.

She waded into the cold water and sank down, gasping as the cool water cut her breath short. She looked back to see that Aer'ehk had laid down with a dejected look on his furry face. He huffed into the grass.

I think he has chosen to stay with us, Pango said. He must really love you.

I hope he learns Värian soon, so I can speak to him again. So I can apologize for what I did.

I don't think there's any need to apologize. I will attempt to teach him some words while you bathe.

Alright. Thank you, Pango.

She proceeded to clean herself up. When she finished, she exited the water, swiping the drops from her skin. She twisted her hair up and squeezed the water out while she leaned over. She swiped the water off her skin again, until she was as dry as possible. Then she put her clean set of clothes on.

"Alright, it's time to leave," she said.

Do you think he'll stay with us in mist form? Pango asked.

I don't know. I hope so.

Maybe it would be best for me to stay here with him.

I cannot prove I'm the wolf queen without you.

True. I suppose we just need to try it and see then.

They went to the lilac storage nohonga. She gathered enough lilacs for them and set them into a circle. Then she and Pango gathered in the circle. She knelt down and beckoned for Aer'ehk to join them, and he slunk up. He paced in front of her for a while and then finally entered the circle.

She turned them to mist and watched what he did.

To her relief, he drifted near her, eager to see where she would go. She led him out of the nohonga and toward the edge of the village. He followed.

It seems we can trust him to stay with us, Pango said.

So it seems, she replied with a sigh. Let's go!

And they departed in the direction of the Iwanui river, where the coyote tribe had their village on the hill overlooking the river, about half a spot below the ruined village of Itaone.

~*~

655 Words ~ 38064 Total