Chapter 14

Solí and Tokah exited the lilac storage nohonga and set down their bundles of lilacs.

"We're wasting our lilacs to go beg for lilacs that the tribal kings won't give us," Tokah grumbled.

"It won't be a waste, I promise you." She began to spread her lilacs in a small circle.

"Why did you shun your wolf?" he asked.

"I don't want to talk about it." She focused on making her circle of flowers.

"You won't be able to prove you're the princess of the wolf tribe without your wolf."

She sighed as her shoulders sagged. "I know. I'll call my wolf now." So she opened herself up to Pango and sent out a mental nudge. Because she could sense his familiar presence, she knew he was back in the direction of the high nohonga.

He didn't respond though, so she nudged again. She groaned in exasperation when she realized he was now shunning her, probably to make a point of how childish she had been when she closed herself off to him. "Will you ask your bear to tell your father's bear that Pango needs to come with me? Your father can let my father know."

"Or you could walk back yourself, and stop being a lazy ass."

Solí glared.

"How about this?" Tokah looked all around. No one was nearby. "A favor for a favor. You treat me like your future husband and I'll do as you ask."

"What do you mean?"

Tokah approached and held out his hands to her. "A woman's purpose is to please her husband. You have never pleased me. You have never pleasured me. Here's your chance."

"We can't have sex yet. It's forbidden until after marriage."

"Who said anything about sex." Tokah raised his eyebrows and eyed her breasts greedily. "Show them to me."

"I will not." Solí instinctively covered her chest by crossing her arms.

"Then I will tell my father you changed your mind and we don't need to go on this fool's quest."

Solí glared. Then she sighed heavily and lifted up the poroporo that covered her breasts.

He reached out to her, and she backed up and put her poroporo back in place. "You said show me, not let me touch."

"True enough." Tokah smiled a wicked smile and nodded. "Taikaha, tell my father's bear."

Moments later, Pango's voice filled Solí's head. I see you're speaking to me again.

I'm sorry for shunning you, alright?

I can forgive you, but I still do not understand. Why are you accepting this beastman as your soulmate?

I'm not.

But you are, Pango told her very smartly. I can sense your emotions. You want to ask the beastman for help.

Beastmen can control plants. I think my soulmate could grow the lilacs we need.

Why would a beastman help us?

To prove that we can trust him. To prove that he acknowledges the bond we share. To prove that he can look past our differences and honor me as his soulmate.

Pango made a mental snuff of doubt. I think you put too much faith in the soulbond makutu. Your soulmate is still a beastman. We're mortal enemies with his kind, and he doesn't even understand the way the bond works. Why would he let go of his prejudices for you?