Chapter 17

When she made it across the beaver tribe's dam and emerged from the treeline, Solí gasped at the sight of all the lilacs growing in the field.

Tokah squinted into the sun as he gazed at the field. "Yes, this will do," he said. "This field will serve as your tribute."

"What do you mean?" She turned to the bear prince.

"Your tribe owes the bear tribe for bringing you to Panui. We will use this field to replenish our supply."

Solí glared, but what could she do? She tilted her head down in a sullen nod and stormed off in a huff.

While walking along the logs back to the beaver tribe's village, Solí got an idea. She went straight back to the beaver king's hut. "I need to speak with your king," she called.

One of the shadowmen emerged and gave her a suspicious stare. "What more would you ask of us?"

"It's not that. I think you're giving away a grand treasure that is worth more than you know. Your generosity is appreciated, of course, but I have a suggestion for your king."

The warrior glared at her for a while and then finally nodded. She ducked back into the beaver king's hut. The other warrior stood to the side and Solí sat on her knees near the king's head and put her hands in her lap.

"Good king, I urge you to reconsider your gift," she said loudly to make sure she could be heard.

The king squinted up at her.

"Your lilac field is worth so much. You could pay tribute to the high king of Väria in exchange for training for your heirs so they can learn the ways of the elders and keep your village from dissolving."

"How do you know about that?" the king asked in his raspy voice.

"The king of the otter tribe told me. I think it's worth the effort to send your children to Patapu to train with the high king's wise women. Your lilac fields would more than pay for the expensive training. Then your village could grow instead of die."

The king was silent for a while, and she assumed he was conversing with his bonded beaver, who lay near his head, looking very close to the end of his poor life.

Tokah won't forgive you for this, Pango told her.

I don't care. This is the right thing to do.

Are you sure? If this village doesn't dissolve, your people won't be able to move here and settle down in this peaceful place.

Let's be honest though. That was a fanciful dream. Nothing like that was going to actually happen.

You didn't even consider refusing the beaver king's offer until Tokah took the lilac field from you.

That's true. But if my people cannot use the lilacs, then I don't want Tokah's people to have them either.

You are as cold as ice, Solí.

Thank you, she replied with a mental laugh.

After a long quiet moment, the king nodded. "I will speak with my son tonight. Please go tell the other one that we have decided to reconsider. You may fill four bags with lilacs as a way to say thank you for the suggestion."

"I'll accompany you to make it official," the shadowman said.

"You may want to bring along several warriors to enforce your king's orders," she suggested.

So four beaver warriors joined Solí and the beaver shadowman back to the river and across the dam to the lilac field.

"You cannot take the entire field," the shadowman said as they approached Tokah, who had already started ripping the sprigs of lilacs out of the ground.