Chapter 16

Solí and Tokah hefted the large bags of lilac petals the otter tribe king had given them. "Thank you so much again for all the lilacs," Solí said as they prepared to leave.

"We are all very happy to help," the otter king said. "We don't understand the type of loss you experience while living on the border. We have more than enough stored up if something were to happen to anyone here. The rest is yours." He offered them another pouch.

Solí had to cradle the first in her arm so she could take the second one. "Thank you! Please let us wolf tribe's people know if there's ever anything we can do for you!"

Tokah set down his bag so he could open it and spread a circle of petals for their mist walk makutu. Solí noticed that he made a single circle big enough for them all to fit, rather than waste lilacs again by making two separate circles.

They spoke the words to turn to mist, and the otter prince gasped and cheered. Solí couldn't help but smile at the enthusiasm of the otter prince.

They sped along upriver in the direction of the beaver tribe's village. Solí couldn't help it. She wanted to see this beaver tribe's home first hand and speak to the elders about what they planned to do. She knew she couldn't decide for her father, but if she could argue for them settling down in the place, then perhaps her people might have an easy life for a change. She expected many wolf tribe's people would be happy to hear they didn't have to live on the border any longer. Maybe the high king of Väria could find another tribe to protect the border in their stead. It certainly felt like it was about time for someone else to pay their dues to the nation.

They arrived in only a spot or two. The tiny village nestled on the edge of the forest just a stone's throw from the river. As the otter king had described, they had a very big dam that blocked the river and had created a sizable lake, where they could bathe and get fresh water to drink and cook with. The lake surely provided fish for the village too. The abundant forest nearby would provide materials for them to build new houses to add onto the two dozen the beaver tribe already had.

Solí felt a giddy rush of happiness at the thought that they could build permanent homes that wouldn't need to be moved due to invading beastmen. Then she shook her head at herself. This was still only a possibility at best. She needed to speak with the beaver king and her father before she could start making plans to move in.

They found a woman gathering water at the stream, and they allowed their mist makutu to melt away. She stood and eyed them warily.

"We come in peace," Solí said. "We require help and we were hoping to find aid from your people."

She stared at the wolf and bear. "What do you need?" the woman finally asked.

"Do you have any spare lilacs? We need to move my entire tribe."

"It grows in abundance on the sunset side of the river. You should ask the king, but I would imagine you'd be free to take all that you can carry."

"Take us to your king," Tokah demanded.

"We come from your allies, the otter tribe. We request an audience with the beaver king," Solí added, hoping her request softened the blow of Tokah's demands.

"I'll walk with you," the lady said. She led the way to a large dwelling, a bark hut, Solí decided to call them, because she had no other words to describe their homes. "Hiri Pakaka," the lady called. "We have Värian wanderers here to request your aid."

"They may enter." The fragile-sounding voice came from the king's dwelling.

Solí and Tokah lifted the deerskin flap on the bark hut and ducked their heads. They found themselves in a large warm dwelling with a fire smoldering in the center and smoke curling up to the opening in the hut's ceiling above.

A broken man looked up at them from where he lay on the floor under a mound of bed furs. Two shadowmen aimed knives at Solí and Tokah as they straightened up.

She put her hands up, but he went for the knife at his hip. She grabbed his hand. "We come in peace," she declared. "We seek your aid, good king." She knelt on the deerskin floor, looked up at Tokah, and raised her eyebrows at him until he knelt too.

"You need to speak up," one of the shadowmen said.

Solí repeated herself in a strong voice.

"What would you ask of me?" The king's voice rasped like he had phlegm caught in his throat.

Tokah and Solí stood. "Please. We need to move my entire tribe, and we require more lilac than we currently have. I have heard that there is a field nearby where it grows abundantly."

The king tilted his head on his pillow in an awkward nod. "We have taken what we need. You may have what is left."

"We thank you!" Solí bowed, tapped Tokah on the knee, and then raised her eyebrows at him until he bowed too. "You are saving my tribe's people from needing to make an impossible journey."

"I know what that is like to be in need," the beaver king said, his voice weak.

Solí wanted to ask the beaver king about their plans to abandon their village, but the two shadowmen stepped up and ushered them back to the door of the hut. "We're in your debt, good king. We cannot thank you enough."

The king moved his hand in what he clearly intended to be a wave, though he lacked the mobility to properly perform the action. She sensed that his time was near.

"Is there another in charge?" she asked as they left and stood in front of the woman who had brought them there.

"The king's son is out hunting. He will be back tonight if you stay that long. I imagine it will take you a great deal of time to gather all the lilacs. The field is overflowing with the purple flowers now that we are in the height of lilac moon. Come on; I'll show you the way."

"Thank you for your help." Solí and Tokah followed the lady to a place in the stream where the dam would take them across to the other side. On one side of the dam was a calm lake and on the other a small stream babbled calmly and overhead, birds chirped in the trees. She could already see the purple through the tree trunks.

The lady left them to walk across the dam made of tree logs. To Solí's surprise, Tokah leapt into the lake with a giant splash and swam along the dam toward the opposite shore, followed by his lumbering bear. Perhaps he had been too hot. The afternoon heat certainly made her sweat too.

She decided to stay on the dam though. After taking a drink with her hands cupping the water, she walked along the many logs across the river. Pango stayed on the side of the river rather than try to follow her. He lay in the sun and turned his belly to the sky.

Enjoy the rest, she told him.

~*~

1223 Words ~ 18646 Total