Chapter Eleven

~~~Elena

"...We can't do that again, Elena..."

How idiotic I felt.

How stupid.

To be left with the memory of him pretending to care for those moments.

Pretending I was his.

I want so badly to hate him, but I can't.

Useless. Again.

~~~Sebastian

"...What?...Why?..."

Because I don't deserve it.

Because I'd break.

I'd tell you everything.

Then I'd have to watch your eyes fill with hate again.

So let me have that memory.

Of a night where you really were all mine.

~~~Elena

"Elena? Hey, snap out of it, the Diricawls don't like whatever trance you're in."

I came to my senses after a moment, seeing Poppy actually snapping her fingers in front of my face. A few of the Diricawls in the pen we were in were ruffling their feathers and making small distressed noises while eyeing me. I reached up and took her hand, lowering it back down. 

She shook her head, then blew her bangs out of her face. "What has gotten into you?"

"I'm sorry, I'm a little distracted lately."

"A little!? Elena you blew up a potion yesterday because you cried into it. I thought Professor Sharp was going to faint."

I cringed inwardly. It was pretty bad, and I got chewed out, though gently, for the mistake. Natty then teased me for being scolded in front of everyone by 'my father', though she stopped immediately when she saw how actually upset I was.

It's been a bad couple of days.

I walked with Poppy to lunch after class, though left her in the hall and just went to the common room instead. I didn't feel like being around anyone, and between Sebastian sulking and Ominis trying to figure out what happened, I just couldn't.

I should have told Ominis, but at the risk of him being angrier at Sebastian than he already was, I had decided to keep my mouth shut. 

The common room was strangely empty as I grabbed my new book from my room and headed back out. It was a nice day, I planned on spending my lunch outside in one of the courtyards reading a little before I needed to face the rest of the day.

I passed the hall to the boys dorm and heard muffled yelling.

I stopped, and debated pressing my ear against the door. Normally I would have, but I wasn't in the mood for once. 

The door slammed, and I started walking away.

"Elena!" Sebastian called to me.

I didn't stop.

~~~

I barely got through the first chapter of my book before I had to pack it up and go to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

It was a lecture today, so I took my seat and waited for Professor Hecat to show up as other people filled in. 

Ominis's voice sounded quietly as he took his seat next to me and pulled out some parchment and his dictation quill. "You didn't hear any of that earlier, did you?"