Chapter Thirty-Four

~~~Elena

It had been a week or so since the visit with the ministry. Poppy had written her letter to her contact, but as of yet we hadn't heard anything back and were starting to get nervous. For them, and for us as well. 

We'd taken to having our lunch together on the steps regularly, it was the easiest way to talk about everything, since we weren't really trying to be sneaky about it anymore.

"I say we go out tonight, see if we can find anything."

"Blind like that, though?"

"What other choice do we have?"

A voice sounded behind us. "You could just...not go? That's always an option."

Xander had started down the stairs toward us, pausing to bend down and kiss Poppy's cheek. Her face flushed and Natty and I giggled. I looked up at him. 

"But it's not, really. We're running out of time, in several ways."

"Maybe try something that's not going to possibly get you all killed for a change?"

"You have an idea? Or is this a plot to know exactly where we are and what we're doing so you can rat me out to Sebastian?"

Xander shot me an annoyed look and then pointed at Poppy. "She's the one I give a damn about. You and Sebastian are an entirely different breed of people, and I want nothing to do with your messed up love affair."

Poppy frowned. "Xander that wasn't nice!"

I shook my head and laughed. "Poppy that's just...how we talk to each other. Speaking of said love affair though-"

"He's pissed, Elena."

"When isn't he?"

"You still aren't talking to him?"

I looked down at my hands in my lap and tried to stop wringing them. "...I just...can't."

"Well then don't be surprised he's pissed. But. Like I was saying. You know poachers hang out all over Hogsmeade, right? Like not all of them work for Harlow, but they loiter around the Hog's Head and whatnot. Aren't you some sort of professional eavesdropper? Con Ominis and his super ears into going with you."

"I'm not dragging Ominis into this too."

"Then go alone, I don't care."

~~~

That evening, I threw on a cloak with a deep hood, and some dark clothing and made to leave the common room. I ran into Ominis in the hall. 

"Ah. Elena, I was actually just about to knock on your door, see if you wanted to play some chess tonight."

"I would, Ominis, but I'm actually headed out."

"...Where are you going?"

"Hogsmeade."

"I'll come with you."

"Ominis, you don't have to-"

"I'm coming. Give me a moment, wait for me near the door?"

So much for not dragging him into anything. 

I went out into the common room and stood near the door like Ominis had asked. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted Sebastian, reading a book and glancing in my direction every few seconds. Ominis needed to hurry up. 

"Ready?" 

Turning, I found Ominis also in a cloak and a grin scrawled across his lips. He put his hand on my back and quickly led me out of the common room. Curiosity was eating at me, but I let it go, against my better judgement.