Chapter Forty

I was starting to get nervous.

There were no letters. There was no movement. There was no Harlow.

Natty, Poppy, and I had ventured out several times, despite protests all around, but each time we left, we found nothing. Not even signs that there had been something. Just...nothing. No tents, no cages, no chains, no beasts, no people.

It was as if the entire poaching operation had vanished into thin air. But we knew that wasn't true. I spotted Bolton leaving the Three Broomsticks on a group outing. I was pretty sure Sebastian was receiving letters, as every once in a while he'd get one then immediately need to leave the table.

Every time I thought about pressing him, I remembered that thin scar wrapped around his arm and then refrained. There had been much talked about in the last week or so, but that particular topic was strictly off limits, and I didn't want to accidently cross a line he was unable to.

"Elena? Stay after class for a moment, would you?"

I looked up from my cauldron toward Aesop and nodded. He'd been checking up on me far more frequently lately, though with obvious good reason. He was at least, quite pleased that my hip continued to improve, and now it only caught once in a while, and gave me little pain.

After class finished up, Sebastian came up to me and pressed his lips to my cheek. "Do you want me to wait for you?"

"Only if you want to. You could save me a seat at dinner too though, if you wanted. I heard it's lamb tonight."

"Oh. Forget you then, I'm going to eat."

"Hey!"

He laughed at me, reached down and squeezed my hand. "I'll just be outside."

I smiled as he left before heading into Aesop's office. Where I was greeted by Officer Griffs. I hadn't been expecting that, but was honestly relieved to see him.

"Elena. I'm glad to see you. Alive."

"Thanks to you."

"In part, but only in part. Aesop told me what happened. Genius idea, using the potions to choke that dragon. A gamble, to be sure."

Aesop entered the office at that point, shutting the door and moving to lean against his desk. I looked between the both of them. "What happened?"

Aesop inclined his head toward Griffs. "He has something to ask you."

"Alright. I'm all ears."

"I wanted to let you know first that I'm the lead on this particular case right now while the ministry decides if its worth it to send me another auror..."

"...Another auror?"

"Platt's vanished."

"I can tell you where he is. Wherever Harlow's holed up."

"Which leads me to my question. Do you know where that is?"

"No. If I did, this whole thing would have been dealt with already."

Aesop sighed. "Elena..."

"What? I'm serious."

Griffs shook his head. "Miss Varris, for once, I'm inclined to agree with Aesop here. You might want to leave it well enough alone, but-"

"But I won't. I'm not."

"I know. What I was saying, is that you might want to leave it well enough alone, but considering I know you aren't the type to give up, if and when the inevitable happens, I need you to let me know. We might need to formulate...a story."