Chapter Thirty-Eight

~~~Elena

I felt...horrible

But I was alive.

Though in truth, listening to Natty and Poppy tell it, they had been completely convinced I had died before we even got back into Hogwarts. So was Xander. 

Natty grilled me about why I didn't use any of the ancient magic, noting that I could have made quick work of that dragon. Apart from my determination to survive without it, I hadn't wanted to put Natty and Poppy in any extra danger if the poachers assumed that the two of them could use it as well. Also, I truly didn't want to kill Urton. 

Aesop told me that my body had gone into pretty severe shock, and that I'd lost an incredible amount of blood, and he had half a mind to wring my neck. 

"If you keep going at the pace you have been, you are going to die, Elena. You have absolutely no idea how truly lucky you were. That dragon could have eaten you, roasted you alive, dragged you-"

"I get it, Aesop."

"No, I really don't think you do."

"I thought you said you weren't going to scold me."

"I changed my mind. You're currently a captive audience, and even after you aren't, you're going to need help walking for a bit. If I find out you've tried running off again while you're still recovering I'll-"

"I know I'm reckless, Aesop. But I'm not quite that bad."

"You'd better not be."

"...What did you tell the other Professors? Sebastian said they haven't been mentioning my absence."

"I uh...They don't know you're missing. I might have...fuddled with their memories a bit, though I obviously will lift that once you're ready to go back to class. Professor Weasley however...I told her the truth. Mostly."

My eyes widened and I sat up too fast, gasping at the pain still in my hip. "She's not going to to the Ministry is she!? What did she say!?"

"No. No no, none of that. Her reaction was one of...exasperation. If I recall correctly, she sighed and said 'That girl must be in a competition with Garreth for who gives you more grey hair."

I smiled. "And who is winning said competition?"

He looked at me with kind eyes and returned my smile. 

"Garreth. By a landslide."

~~~

With a little more time, and everyone's help, I was eventually able to go down to the common room on Sunday evening finally. The stairs were still terrible, though, and Sebastian laughed that he was fighting the urge to carry me, but knew I needed to use the leg. 

Everyone pitched in and bought me a very nice walking stick as a joke, but I was using it regardless.

As the door swung open and I was able to step inside, the common room, which had been lively with chatter and typical shenanigans, quieted immediately. 

I just cleared my throat a little bit and tried to smile. "Well this is awkward."

Another step in and I was suddenly surrounded by others. Everyone wanted to know where I'd been and what happened and-

"Hey! Back up, you muppets! Give her some air, for fucks sake."

Most people backed up, giving room for Ominis to come up to my other side, where they both escorted me to my room. Sebastian looked nervous, and I knew he didn't want to leave me.