18.

Dylan stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom as Lucinda was braiding little braids in her hair. Lucinda was pulling on her daughter's hair, Dylan wincing and instinctively pulling away. "Stay still. I'm almost done."

    It took some convincing for Benjamin and Lucinda to allow Dylan to go to the rave. But since Dylan had changed her ways, they agreed to let her go. But they insisted on meeting the boy who was picking her up which terrified her because it wasn't like anything was going to happen between her and Matt. No way.

    As Lucinda was finishing up the final braid, Dylan looked to her side and saw Charlie walking past the bathroom. He paused in his steps to look at her. She sent him a glare. He had a strange look on his face. It wasn't the same hatred look that he'd given her since she was fourteen. It was more of a sympathetic look. Like he was starting to grow to her. But he didn't say anything, nor do anything. He just walked away. Dylan stared at the empty space before turning back to the mirror.

    "There. Done!" Lucinda said. She placed her hands on Dylan's shoulders and poked her head over her shoulder. "You look beautiful." Dylan stared at herself in the mirror, two little red braids on each side of her hair. The doorbell rang, Matt had arrived. Lucinda and Dylan made their way downstairs, Benjamin had opened the door.

    "You must be Matt," Benjamin said. "I'm Ben, Dylan's dad." Matt took his hand and shook it.

    "Nice to meet you." Dylan walked down the stairs, Matt's eyes caught hers. "Wow. Dylan, you look beautiful." She looked herself up and down. She was wearing a pair of black jeans, a white lace singlet top under a black leather jacket.

    "Thanks," she said half-heartedly. She turned to Ben and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "See you later, Ben." Dylan followed Matt out the door, Ben waving them off and telling Matt to have his daughter back by eleven, and no funny business! Dylan slapped her forehead.

    Matt opened the car door for her and she hopped in. Then he went around his side and got in himself. He started up the car and drove out of Dylan's driveway and to the destination of the rave. Matt pulled up outside the rave. He got out of the car and, before Dylan could open her door, Matt opened it for her. She had to fight back an eye roll.

    "Thanks."

    The two headed for the doors of the rave and walked in. The ground was vibrating from the loud, banging music. Flashing lights blinded Dylan, making her wish she had stayed home. But she didn't go for Matt, she went for the plan to catch the Kanima. To catch Jackson. And to possibly dance with Erica and/or Isaac. But that wasn't the point. She would need an excuse to escape from Matt.

    Matt led Dylan through the crowd of people. Everyone jumping to the beats of the music, their bodies slamming into Dylan's. A disgusted look on her face as she tried to push past them and keep up with Matt. He must've noticed her struggle because he grabbed her hand to keep her close to him. Dylan almost gagged when she felt his hand interlock with hers.

    The music only seemed to get louder with each passing second she was there. She wanted to leave. And she was about to as well. But then Isaac approached the two, his eyes focused on Dylan with a grin on his face. Matt only seemed to tense.

    "Mind if I borrow your date?" Isaac asked, not looking at Matt.

    "Um, actually, I don't think--"

    "Thanks." Isaac didn't even let Matt finish. He grabbed Dylan's hand and dragged her away, feeling his hand slip from hers. Once they stopped moving, she sighed in relief.

    "You are a life saviour," she said. Dylan looked down at his hand and saw a syringe. "What's with the needle, dude?"

    Isaac looked down at it then back up at Dylan. "Oh. Scott gave it to me. Yeah. I'm supposed to use it on Jackson. Oh, and, between you and me, I think he cares about me."