09: Ride Back.

"Dude, I'm so sorry

"Dude, I'm so sorry." Mark said softly on the phone. Hearing Nabi's sobs was hard to handle, considering they've been getting closer and closer for the past few weeks. He felt bad that his idea didn't make her happy and work things out with Xiaojun but made her cry instead. He felt like maybe it was his fault by texting her while she was on a weekend away to work on her relationship.

"But are you sure you really want to come back?" he said as a response to her asking if he could come get her. "It could make things worse, you know. Especially if I was the one picking you up if he was jealous over an innocent text." he scratched his head. Of course he wanted to pick her up if that meant making her feel better, but he was trying to think of the bigger picture. As Nabi kept on talking, giving him pros of her leaving the beach, a male voice was heard through the phone. Mark listened as Xiaojun had asked Nabi to come back inside and talk and how she didn't want to do that. "Nabi, I think you should try and talk. If you still don't change your mind after that, I'll pick you up no problem." he said softly and was met with silence. After few seconds Nabi agreed and hung up.

Mark let out a deep sigh as he leaned back on his chair. He thought about how that was why he kept distance ever since his last girlfriend - he never wanted to go through a burn out in a relationship ever again. He was cautious when it came to love and didn't get into anything that he wasn't sure could've been it.

An idea for a new song inspired by those feelings came to his mind. Since he wanted to wait for Nabi's call or text, he decided to start working on the new song in the meantime.

 Since he wanted to wait for Nabi's call or text, he decided to start working on the new song in the meantime

Nabi sat down on the couch, mad, sad and anxious all at once. Xiaojun sat down next to her and put his head in his hands. The two sat in silence for a little while until the boy finally spoke up.

"I really don't think this is working."

His words hurt like tens of knives cutting through Nabi. She knew he was right and that eventually one of them was going to say those words, but actually hearing them was a pain she hadn't imagined.

She burst out crying and hid her face behind her legs as she hugged them close to her body. Her phone suddenly buzzed and she was Bona's name on the lockscreen. She couldn't answer at that moment so she just threw her phone onto a chair next to the couch.

Xiaojun couldn't hide his emotions and let the tears fall as well. None of them knew what to do or what more to say. He wanted to hug her but couldn't find the drive to actually do it. They sat in silence as only their sobs filled the house. It was an outcome they considered, but never actually believed it.

Nabi suddenly stood up and grabbed her phone. "I'm going to ask if Bona can pick me up."

"I can drive you back, I'm not going to stay here by myself."

"No, I don't think we should drive back together. I can't do this. I need to get out of here." she left and locked herself in the bedroom.

Xiaojun wiped his cheeks though tears kept falling down. He wasn't going to leave her there alone and leave before making sure she had a ride home.

After few minutes, she came out of the room with her suitcase in hand. "Bona doesn't have a car today. Mark will pick me up." she said while wiping her nose.

Xiaojun didn't really have the right to be jealous and he didn't think it was jealousy - it just felt strange. Nabi was his girl for so long that even though they're not meant to be together, seeing or even imagining her with a different guy seemed wrong.

They sat in silence as a random show was on TV. They both stared at the big screen, emotionless, as they waited for Mark to come get her so they could both get out of that awkward and painful situation. As her phone finally buzzed, she picked up. "He's here." she said and grabbed her suitcase. Xiaojun followed, locking the door behind him. He had let the owner know he was going to leave the key at the bar next door that belonged to her as well to which she agreed.

When Nabi saw Mark leaning against the car, she began to walk over without saying anything to Xiaojun - also not looking back at him at all. He understood so he didn't say a thing either - he just stared at Mark who waited for the girl.

When Mark took the suitcase from her and put it in his trunk,   she said "please, let's just go." He nodded and hopped behind the wheel while Nabi was already buckled up in the passengers seat. The girl didn't even take one last glance at her now ex boyfriend as Mark drove off rapidly.

The boy didn't know what to say or if to even say anything, he just kept on glancing at Nabi who looked like she was going to cry once again.

"Can you please pull over for a second?" her voice started breaking as tears filled her puffy eyes again.

"Sure." Mark answered softly and immediately pulled over. It was late and not many cars were on the road so it didn't seem unsafe at all.

Nabi got out of the car and squatted down, almost sitting down on the ground. She started crying hysterically while hiding her face in her hands. Mark quickly put on the hand break and got out of the car. He ran over to the girl and kneeled down in front of her, wrapping his arms around her. She immediately got on her knees and hugged him back. Her crying didn't seem to lessen, quite the opposite - she cried even harder in Mark's arms while he let her.

 Her crying didn't seem to lessen, quite the opposite - she cried even harder in Mark's arms while he let her

this was.. it pained me to write it on so many levels tbh.
i need a Mark but don't we all :(