𝗶𝘃 | 𝗰𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝘀

Over the next few days, Gwen and Harry made their way around Diagon Alley buying the new textbooks they'd need for the new year

Over the next few days, Gwen and Harry made their way around Diagon Alley buying the new textbooks they'd need for the new year. They first went to Flourish and Blotts where Gwen was horrified to learn that they'd need to buy a book that seemed to be alive.

As they entered, a cage of the books were fighting with each other, pages flying everywhere as they bit at one another. The manager had not been too happy to learn that she needed to buy one, brushing them aside as he reached in with gloved hands, battling to tie the book shut with the belt that was wrapped around the binding and handing it to Gwen who took it gingerly.

'Do you need anything else?' the manager asked, looking a bit more dishevelled than he had when they'd entered.

'Uh, yes,' Gwen said, looking down at the list in her hand. 'Unfogging the Future by Cassandra Vatblasky.'

The wizard nodded and shuffled toward a stack of books. As he did so, there was a loud ripping noise; the monster books had started fighting again. The manager sprung backwards, grabbed a walking stick and started batting the books.

'Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!'

The books eventually ceased their attacks, and, wiping the sweat from his brow, the manager sighed and went back to the other shelf. Harry and Gwen shared an apprehensive look.

'Here,' the wizard said, pressing a copy of Unfogging the Future into each of their hands. 'Starting Divination this year? This book is a very good guide to all your basic fortune telling methods; palmistry, crystal balls, bird entrails.'

Gwen nodded appreciatively, but both she and the wizard noticed Harry wasn't listening. They followed his gaze to another Divination book, one that looked much more morbid than the one they had just received.

'Oh, I wouldn't read that if I were you,' the wizard said. 'You'll start seeing death omens everywhere. Enough to frighten anyone to death.'

Gwen grimaced while Harry continued to stare. The cover depicted a giant spectral dog with foggy eyes. The dog was massive, probably the size of a bear.

The wizard turned back to them. 'Anything else?'

'Yes,' Gwen said, noticing Harry tearing his eyes away with effort. 'We need... Intermediate Transfiguration, The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Three...'

Gwen and Harry emerged ten minutes later carrying their new books and made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron. They kept bumping into people on the way, and their books nearly toppled from the top of the stack several times.

They went into their respective rooms to drop off their new belongings. Someone had been in to tidy Gwen's room; the window was now open and sunlight spilled in. She could hear the street of the unseen Muggle London below, and on the other side, the bustle of Diagon Alley could be distantly heard.